A Better way to Migrate Passwords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Better way to Migrate Passwords

I've had this idea for quite a while, and I have actually seen this "idea" in-use by other software.

Basically, when Importing from another board, such as phpBB3, or another similar software that employs a different hashing method, you could add a flag to all imported users that have not logged in. When that flag is picked-up upon login, the old board's hasing system is "borrowed" to authenticate that member, and then the raw password that was just submitted can be used to store the new vBulletin password hash.

Does this make sense? I do believe that MyBB already uses such a thing for some of its importers.
    -- David.

If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
    This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

Great minds think alike, I made the same suggestion almost 4 years ago to the day!

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156593
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

And as with all the other suggestions over the years, this will not be done till vBulletin supports handing off authentication nativaly.

ImpEx dosen't not and will not change the way vBulletin works, it's data model or set a precedent of using hacks.

I know of several ways of achieving this, though none of them will be implemented for the above reason.
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X