Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some problems importing from SMF 1.1.0 TO VB 3.8.4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some problems importing from SMF 1.1.0 TO VB 3.8.4

    Hi,
    I have installed a new VB forum succesfully and connected to the SQL as expected.

    I followed the ImpEx instructions to the letter and had mostly success on my first migration test with the script, great!

    I am assuming that it is correct to clean install the forum first, then upload the ImpEx script then run the import? (I couldn't find a process list anywhere which determined this)

    However, a few issues:

    1)I need the 'Display Name' to import to VB as part of the import, this does not seem to be the case and only usernames are shown.

    2)All usernames seem to have been prefixed with "imported_" - They don't display like this in the new forum but when requsting my new password I got this message in an email:

    "Dear imported_Rich,

    As you requested, your password has now been reset. Your new details are as follows:

    Username: imported_Rich
    Password: ***********"

    3) The attachments import was only 5% successful, mainly pdf's, doc's and some jpegs were ok, there seemed to be a lot of files such as '172_100_6194_JPGd4d2349dea40d76c13b4868167f0645f' which didn't convert and also the majority of the 'avatar.png' files.
    I did have a problem with some file sizes and got an error relating to 'line 1293' on 'ImpExDatabaseCore.php' - I worked out this was something to do with some of the image file sizes and removed any over 800kb which resolved the import failure but still wouldnt bring the any of the other attachments accross.
    I am assuming that the attachments will only import attachments that are relative to posts and not files such as avatars?

    4) Some of the import scripts had to be 're-done' as they were demanding for the server to run, as a result I found that I had 3 lots of forums, 3x as many users and 3 times as many posts - even though I selected the 'clean' install when I ran again.

    Thats really it for now, I'm going to attempt another go but really could do with some advice on #1 and #2 above if possible?

    Thanks;

    Rich

  • #2
    Originally posted by Richp View Post
    1)I need the 'Display Name' to import to VB as part of the import, this does not seem to be the case and only usernames are shown.
    vBulletin only has support for one name, and the username is the unique one so have to use that.

    Originally posted by Richp View Post
    2)All usernames seem to have been prefixed with "imported_" - They don't display like this in the new forum but when requsting my new password I got this message in an email:
    This happens when there is a duplicate email and the users aren't merged, I'd think you have exsisting users or a previous test import that you finalised and then re-ran.

    Originally posted by Richp View Post
    3) The attachments import was only 5% successful, mainly pdf's, doc's and some jpegs were ok, there seemed to be a lot of files such as '172_100_6194_JPGd4d2349dea40d76c13b4868167f0645f' which didn't convert and also the majority of the 'avatar.png' files.
    All depends on what error impex reports, typically file not found ?

    Originally posted by Richp View Post
    4) Some of the import scripts had to be 're-done' as they were demanding for the server to run, as a result I found that I had 3 lots of forums, 3x as many users and 3 times as many posts - even though I selected the 'clean' install when I ran again.
    Hitting refresh is a recipe for disaster, if the server is under powered dramatically lower the per page numbers for each module.
    I wrote ImpEx.

    Blog | Me

    Comment


    • #3
      thanks for the reply Jerry,

      It a big shame about #1) we have 1500 members who all have their real name as their display name (this was forced pre-authorisation within SMF) and their username (or sign-in name) could have been the same or in the early days of our SM Forum they could choose anything they wanted for their username.

      Later down the line it made it easier for us to implement fool proof instrucution for new members to use their real name as username instead of a 'nick name' - The nature of our business means that its best that everybody knows who each other is and the old forum worked very well as a result.

      Because vbulletin only supports one field we now have display names such as 'Bob1234' instead of 'Bob Smith' who of course is known more by his real name due to the nature of the forums business and the community outside of the forum.

      with execption of the attachments problem (yes, they were file not found) I managed to sort all of the other problems with a new database install on attempt number 2.

      Job well done and thanks for ImpEx!

      Comment

      widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X