Extra Characters don´t show right after the Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Characters don´t show right after the Conversion

Seems the list of issues is not yet over. As soon as I fix one, i always find something else too. Converts aren´t always without issues it seems.

Maybe you can help me with one more.

Since the Conversion from SMF to vB the following Extra Characters in Forum posts doesn´t display right.

Example:

We´ll look into it
    should be
    We´ll look into it
    All those with `or ´show that weird now.

Is there a way to fix this without re-editing every post with these characters ?

Also, one other issue without actually starting a new thread for that as well. I hope thats ok.
    This Conversion came a long way so to speak. From e107 to SMF to vB. In the old e107 Site i had many posts with different text size because the original font was very small. And since BB Code Sizes are different from Software to Software.

In e107:
    Code:
    Text
    While in SMF its:
    Code:
    Text
    In vB sizes start with much smaller values and also don´t have px or pt in the value. Is there a way with a DB query maybe to rename specific values in the DB to something else ? So I could maybe convert

Code:
    TEST
    to
    Code:
    [size=2]
    without actually re-editing any post that contains some like this, because this would take ages to say the least.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance again.
    Last edited by tlwwolfseye; Tue 12 May '09, 3:02am.

Characters not showing correctly can be caused by two things.

1) Your language encoding is incorrect. vBulletin defaults to IS0-8859-1 for the encoding and only supports latin characters by default. You can change this in the Language Manager by editing the settings of the language. Set it to match your previous encoding.

2) Database is not assigned a character set that supports those characters. Both databases should be set to the same character set and collation for the desired output. You can find out more about this in Chapter 9 of the MySQL Manual.

To change your font BBCode, you want to use Cleaner.php:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_cleaner
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thank you very much. Unfortunately i already deleted the IMPEX System. Do I have to reupload it to run the cleaner.php ?

Also, i checked my language Settings. And its set I think correct.

What can I do to fix this ?

Thank you in advance.

Wolfseye
      Last edited by tlwwolfseye; Wed 13 May '09, 7:14am.

Comment

First try this:

Change the HTML Character Set to UTF-8. This will tell the browser to encode the characters differently.

If that doesn't work then see this post here:
        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...28&postcount=6

Alternatively, you can export your vBulletin database using MySQL 4.0 compatibility and then reimport it into your database set to the proper character set.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          First try this:

Change the HTML Character Set to UTF-8. This will tell the browser to encode the characters differently.
          I did change the value from the ISO thing to UTF-8. But now things look even more weird.

Code:
          We don�t really have the time to go through all the Maps and I can�t
          I think you see what I mean.

And about the other thing with the false BB Code from the old posts. For to use the cleaner.php I have to upload the IMPEX again, right ?

Comment

UTF-8 was a common example. I can't tell what encoding your previous database used from this thread.

Yes, you would need to reupload ImpEx to use cleaner.php.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

On the SMF Forum it was also ISO-8859-1. Just like it is on the vB now.

Comment

What was the database set to?

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X