Bypassing Usergroup ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypassing Usergroup ID

I found this information in a vBulletin ticket while searching for help for myself:

As a temporary fix, we changed the following file: impex/systems/megaBBS/004.php

This line:
    Code:
    $try->set_value('mandatory', 'usergroupid', $user_group_ids_array[69]);

To this line:
    Code:
    $try->set_value('mandatory', 'usergroupid', '#'); # Where ‘#’ represents the group ID for registered users

I am not sure if this is helpful but we thought you may want it in case anyone else has this issue. This allows every user to be imported.

I tried it and it works....I can bypass the usergroup issue and fill my forum with users....but about 70 of them out of 850 fail due to email address or something. I can't see what it is because the screen flashes so quickly.

Is there a coding issue for phpBB3.04 that allows for this fix to bypass the skipping of users?

I did a practice forum and it went perfectly...no problems and everything imported...The only thing I would have to play with is how to reset forum group permissions, etc...which I think should be possible.

So...I went to my actual forums where I want to run it and ... after importing a bunch of stuff I got this error message:

ImpEx Database errormysql error: Invalid SQL: DELETE FROM post WHERE importthreadid <> 0

mysql error: Server shutdown in progress

mysql error number: 1053

Date: Tuesday 17th 2009f March 2009 08:59:01 PM
    Database: kris_impexvb
    MySQL error: Server shutdown in progress

I am absolutely lost here. Can anyone set me straight? All I want to do is import to my new vBulletin that I'm so excited about, but nothing is working!!!

Kris

This is pretty straight-forward:

mysql error: Server shutdown in progress

The MySQL server is shutting down. You need to contact your host about this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Right...I did already contact them...but..what about the bypassing of the usergroups?

Comment

I'm afraid that is still due to bad data. This does work when the data is good. Unfortunately I cannot tell you what is wrong with the data that is causing this.

As for skipping users, the most likely cause of that one is they do not have an email address. You will have to assign unique email addresses for those accounts.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

What I'm hearing is that I have bad data and that no one can explain what this means. I'm not the only person with this issue, so I no it isn't something that only affects me.

What I need is to figure out how to fix this and be able to import my posts/topics/users etc DESPITE the "bad data" since no one seems to know what is wrong or how to fix this issue.

I'm looking to come up with a 'fix' for other users experiencing this issue.

It seems to me that for those of us who...for whatever reason have "bad data" that maybe changing the code as suggested above would be a start...I am considering doing another install just to play with the idea of skipping copying over the usergroups altogether.

It seems to me that for those of us who have this issue (and maybe it is related to upgrade stuff to 3.04 for those of us who didn't do a clean install of 3.04??? I don't know...) it might be easier to import all users/topics/posts/forums and then create new usergroups with vBulletin and re-assign forum permissions and put users back in before going live.

I'm trying to think outside of the box and I'm asking the professionals here for their input. Also, if this works, it might provide a fix for others experiencing similar issues....unless of course you have a fix for my bad data?

Kris

Comment

It's not very easy for us to know which data is wrong for a system we did not write. For the usergroup issue, install a fresh copy of phpBB 3.0.4 then compare the relevant tables to see if you can find out here the problem lies.

As for the user issue I've already provided the most likely candidate for that problem. Have you checked this?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

You are right about the users. I imported in groups of 20 to see if I could catch the userid numbers and then followed up in the database. I'm happy that I did...they were all bots and I deleted them. Thank you for that information.

As to knowing about other codes...I absolutely don't expect you to know what is up with someone else's code, but since you designed the impex importer around phpBB3 (as well as other programs) and offer it to your customers, it makes sense to me that you know the ins and outs of how your code works...and that you have to be able to design your code to fit what phpBB3 for example is doing to its code. You aren't responsible for phpBB3, obviously ...I just need help figuring it out, that's all. LOL You know more than I do!

Comment

All I know about Impex is that it does work when dealing with the default phpBB database structure. That's why I suggested installing a fresh test copy to a new db to see if you can spot the changes.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I thought I'd update on this for any users struggling with this issue.

I bypassed this using the code that I found and was able to successfully import. What I discovered was that bots had created a sort of ... bot ... usergroup that was invisible within my phpBB3 forum management area.

I imported all users/threads/posts...and then deleted all of the usergroups that I had imported in and started fresh.

I simply re-created the usergroups that I needed and began adding users manually. It was a little time-consuming, but it worked.

I'm very happy!

http://www.medicalspouse.com/forums

We are working out the email glitches/login issues etc....but all-in-all, I would say that if someone has bad data for some uncertain reason and can change the code and make the skip...do it...and then go in and examine your usergroup data.

I would have never found the bots usergroup in my phpBB3 forum...and I certainly didn't create it! That may or may not have been the problem, but thinks are running pretty smoothly so far!

Anyway, I thought I'd update this for the people searching skipped on usergroupid.

Kris

Comment

Forcing the usergroup id isn't always ideal.

The usergroup 69 is the default created by impex every time a fresh import is run, which it then puts the users in (for some systems) which can be managed later.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X