Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ImpEx jumps straight to Import Attachments

Hi,

I am testing imports on a test forum (3.7.4) from phpbb2.

The first time that I click Import -> Import in my AdminCP, I get the following message:

ImpEx Database errormysql error: Invalid SQL:
    SELECT fieldname, vbmandatory, defaultvalue, dictionary
    FROM vb3_vbfields
    WHERE tablename = 'attachment'
    AND product='vbulletin'
    ORDER BY vbmandatory

mysql error: Unknown column 'product' in 'where clause'

mysql error number: 1054

Date: Saturday 06th of December 2008 10:03:37 AM
    Database: aqadmin_vb374test
    MySQL error:
    The page title is "Import Attachments 0 :: 0 - AquaticQuotient.com"

My impression from the docs is that it should show me a list of installed importers and let me choose before it does anything.

I'm guessing that a leftovers from a previous import is affecting the current import. I don't remember which version of vB (probably 2.X.X) I imported to, and we've obviously upgraded since then. Is there any settings, files or tables somewhere I should look at?

I looked in the vbfields table... there is no product column in that table in my vB. Then I checked the impex code and discovered it DROPS that table and tries to CREATE a new one. I thought it was odd it did not. I checked my original database, and it was there, so I assume it's a leftover from my previous import. I renamed it in the test DB and tried Import again. This time it complains that the table is missing. So somewhere in impex/index.php, the execution jumped to Import Attachment modules before it even got to creating vbfields.

I am a software developer and totally comfortable poking around in code and databases, etc. So anything you want me to check out and report, just ask.

Actually, I would appreciate it you can tell me what tells ImpEx which module to run. Then I can do some troubleshooting on my own.

It would be better of course if you can tell me right away whats wrong and how to solve it.

And since I have a prior import, and the importid columns exists in my current DB, would it affect the import?
    Vincent
    Running vBulletin for AquaticQuotient.com - a community of aquarium lovers

An update.

I continued poking around in the code and found it looks for previous impex session data in the datastore table. I went in and found an entry for ImpExSession. I deleted it and tried Import again. This time it let me choose a system.

I don't know if it will work smoothly from here on. I'll report again if anything else goes wrong.

Should I report this as a bug?
    Vincent

Comment

I don't why I totally missed the Multiple Import topic in the manual, given I've read the ImpEx section twice.

If I remove the old importIds, it means that any links to previously imported posts will be lost.

I can think of only one solution, and that is to rename the old importId fields to something else.
      Vincent

Comment

vbGallery and ImpEx

I couldn't find anything about this here, so I thought I'll post in case anyone else faces the same problem.

Problem: After import I could not view the profile of imported users. The cause was vbGallery.

Solution: After importing the source board, and updated vB the counters, etc., go to Admin CP => vbGallery => Maintenance => Update User Counts.
        Vincent

Comment

A tip for others:

If you have done an ImpEx import before, or if you cannot remember that you had (which was my case), clear the old ImportIds before starting (see below). If not, the import may import wrongly. Also, if you screw up and choose to "Delete Session and Remove All Imported Data", your target database will not be restored correctly.

If in doubt, just clear the importids before starting.

At the import screen, before you choose the system to run, click on Database Cleaup & Restart. Choose "Remove ImportIds".
          Vincent

Comment

This would be caused by using a very old vbfields table (that should be droped and re-created by ImpEx when installed a fresh).

Always remove ImpEx and the session after finalizing one import before doing the next.

If I remove the old importIds, it means that any links to previously imported posts will be lost.
            By what ? Nothing will use thoses id's once the import is done, apart from a n 404/301 redirect (i.e. the one in my signature).

Should I report this as a bug?
            Nope
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
              This would be caused by using a very old vbfields table (that should be droped and re-created by ImpEx when installed a fresh).
              It wasn't dropped by the fresh install, so you want to look at that. That import was years ago.. probably an early vB3.X.X.

Always remove ImpEx and the session after finalizing one import before doing the next.
              ImpEx was removed. May I suggest a reminder at the end of the import to remove the session, or perhaps as a last step? It makes sense to include a clean up step.

By what ? Nothing will use thoses id's once the import is done, apart from a n 404/301 redirect (i.e. the one in my signature).

Yep, exactly.
              Vincent

Comment

Tips from Users

Hi,

While doing the mrege/import, I came across some issues and had to re-test a few times to figure out what went wrong. I have some tips that may help others shorten their import process. The vB team might want to sticky this and let others contribute as well?

Here goes:

As adviced, you should make a backup of your target and source DB so you can revert to those if the import fails. But there are other points where you should make backups of the target and source DBs.

1. Normally, you would need to prep your target board and source board before you import... for example, I removed unwanted usergroups and forums from the source board. Make backups of the target and source DBs just before you start th import process. Then, if the import fails, you don't have to waste time prepping the boards again. Just restore and go!

2. You should do a backup of the target board after a long import step. In my case, importing posts took 150mins. If anything goes irreversibly wrong in the steps after that, I'll have to waste another 150 mins (and the also the steps before that). Although there is the Redo feature, there were times my import seemed to get stuck somewhere that I cannot get back to the page with steps.

3. If you Associate Users or use the auto Email Association, do a backup of the target database after importing users. Because, after that, if you have to go Database Cleanup & Restart => Delete session and all imported data, you will loose the users that were associated. (There is a warning in the docs and the options before importing users, but I didn't know what it meant till it happened to me.) One of the obvious symptoms of this is that all your threads have poster names, but they are marked as Guests. If that happens, you have to start from scratch.
                Vincent

Comment

I was lazy, so I decided to do my import/merge on the live server (using duplicate DBs). Afterall, it was a dedicated server and wasn't going to bother any shared users.

What a bad idea that was. I have a low-end server, and it kept over-loading or timing out. The import of 30K posts was estimated to take 12 hours and timed out at 9! What a waste of time.

In the end, I downloaded the DB, setup my boards on my PC's test Apache server (PHP, MySQL, etc), uploaded the source DB and did the import on the PC. Everything from downloading the DB (3hours) to merging completion, took less then 9 hours in total as my PC has better specs then the server (we're a non-profit, unsponsored board, so we don't have the $ for a better server). Plus I could easily mess with the PHP execution timeout and other settings easily on my test Apache server.

So, tip... run the import in your own PC. Especially if you are shared server.
                  Vincent

Comment

Originally posted by vinzphua View Post
                    Yep, exactly.
                    Which is easy to select into another table with an importid to switch on multi import.

Originally posted by vinzphua View Post
                    So, tip... run the import in your own PC. Especially if you are shared server.
                    A typical dedicated server will do 1,000,000 posts in 20-30 mins (20,000 per/page) with raised PHP memory config and no time out, thats what the impex dev system averages.

Shared hosting is a nightmare for imports because of aggressively limited recourses.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X