vBlogetin Import to vB: Best practices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a good idea.

Restore, do the test import again, run though the updates, then post back before using anything on help.php page or deleting/removing anything so we can check out what ImpEx thinks it has done.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Good news

Didn't get to bed till late as it took quite a while to reinstall all the mods and get all the configuration redone and template changes pasted back in, but I'm roughly back where I wanted to be yesterday.

The best news is that the Blog Imports went off without a hitch, with the exception of the Administrator accounts bogs that didn't go (as the writeups on the impex screens warned that they wouldn't). For the Admin blogs, is it looking at group membership? Or is it looking at the vB includes/config.php for the "special" unchangeable admin accounts? I'm guessing that it's the lock that vB has on changes to those accounts defined in config.php that keeps the import from setting the import id's etc?

If so, if I set another account that doesn't *have* a blog in the config.php take the 2 that have blogs out, woud that allow me to import those last two blogs?

James and Susan

Comment

Title might not have imported right?

Jerry,

Just noticed on our test system that all the blogs I look at are showing up with "title" as the Blog title instead of the title defined by the user in vBlogetin. Is there a reason you can think of that the Blog Titles wouldn't have been imported? The Entry titles seem to have been all replaced by the Blog Title while the Blog title is defaulting to "title".

Any ideas on how to keep that from happening on the import on the live system?

James and Susan

Comment

ImpEx won't merge admin accounts, you'll just have to do that afterwards to get the blogs to line up.

Checking the titles now.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Would it help to see the original vBlogetin tables and what they came out as? I can set up access to the test site if it would be useful.

Re: the admin accounts, I understand what you're saying (at least I think I do) but what if they *weren't* admin accounts? What I'm suggesting is that I could create a temp account, make that the Admin, take both existing accounts out of the administrator group and remove their userid's from the config file. Run the import while logged in as the new Admin (temp) account then set up the accounts again the way they were after the import is complete?

James and Susan

Comment

Titles should be done now, ImpEx just puts in the default when there isn't a user one to import.
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Clarification:

Ummm.. Just wanted to clarify: there was a problem and the new version of the impex vBlogetin system should pull the title correctly? I *think* that's what you're saying, but I want to be clear before I try to setup to run the import again.

Speaking of running it again, can I just finalize the import, then uninstall vBlog, delete any vBlog tables then reinstall vBlog at try the import again I.E. from scratch?

Thanks for your ongoing help! I'm aiming for a bugless upgrade...

James and Susan

Comment

Yes, I've just updated the ImpEx package so that if there is a title and/or description for a blog in vBlogatin it will be imported, if there isn't one the default "title" & "description" will be used.

You could remove the blog like that, though I personally would restore the database to a pre imported state.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Titles still aren't importing right

Heya Jerry,

Back again!

Just about done with tweaking everything on the new version of our site, so I ran another Blog import to test out the titles fix.

Unfortunately the titles still aren't importing.

It's setting the Blog entry title in vBlog to the "blogtitle" from the blog_lookup table, instead of using the "blogtitle" from the blog_lookup table as the title of the WHOLE Blog. It should be using the "title" field from the blog_entry for the title of the blog entry itself.

Is it possible that the system folder got mixed up in the package? I've attached the 005.php file (I think that's the relevant file?) that was used, if it helps?

Other than that, the import was quick, easy and worked perfectly. I think I've got it down to a science now .

James and Susan
                    Attached Files

Comment

Can YOu look at the title import again?

Back again Jerry,

I'm afraid we missed you when you were out of the office and then we had to go to New York on a business trip and I didn't get to follow up on it till now.

:: shrug ::

Anyway, when you get a chance could you please take a look at the post above? The overall blog title still isn't importing... Let me know if I can provide more specifics or if you need to see the tables involved directly? Thanks!

James and Susan

Comment

I'm here now.

I've been though the titles on the vBlogatin import a few times now and can't see which source field needs mapping.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Tigratrus View Post
                          It's setting the Blog entry title in vBlog to the "blogtitle" (field) from the blog_lookup (vblogetin) table, instead of using the "blogtitle" (field) from the blog_lookup (vblogetin) table as the title of the WHOLE Blog. It should be using the "title" field from the blog_entry (vblogetin table) for the title of the blog entry itself.
                          I've added some clarification in the parenthesis above? I'm not looking at the DB right now, but it seemed pretty clear what was happening when I looked at it while composing that post. If that's not enough clarification, please let me know and I can set you up with PHPMyAdmin access. If you're using Navicat (*vastly* superior tool for working with MySQL, not kidding if you've never tried it you soooooo owe it to yourself and your workload to do so ), I could setup a SQL account for you and if you can let me know what IP you'd be coming in from, open the DB so you can see it directly.

Thanks, as always, for all your help!

James and Susan

Comment

Any chance of getting this working right?

We're trying to open the testbed to beta testers this week and roll to live next week, but still waiting on a clean blog import...

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide, if you need more details or need to see the DB just let us know (as commented above).

James and Susan

Comment

Having a look at it now.
                              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

The title and description for the initial blogs is coming from the blog_settings table.

You might be able to pull the title from blog_lookup, though you'd loose the description.

You could change the SQL in get_blog_description() in 000.php if you really wanted to, though I'm not going to change ImpEx.
                                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X