No announcement yet.

vBlogetin Import to vB: Best practices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBlogetin Import to vB: Best practices?

Heya Jerry et al!

We've been waiting to upgrade to vB 3.7 as we wanted to have a new version of vBlog and roll all the changes out at once (and because we *hate* taking functionality away from our members), but we've about run out of time and want to get up to date, for security if nothing else.

Anyway, I read a couple threads about migrating vBlogetin to vBlog and I'll be setting up a testbed environment with a full copy of vB running on the destination and a separate database to hold the vBlogetin tables to import from. I have a few questions though:

1. Is it better to do the vBlogetin -> vBlog import first and *then* upgrade from 3.6.8? Or should we Upgrade from 3.6.8 -> 3.7 P1 and then import the vBlogetin data into vBlog?

2. Are there any specific lessons learned that I should be aware of before trying the migration? Any problems that you have seen that I should watch out for?

Basically, if you had a largish forum running 3.6.8 p2 with vBlogetin and you were going to migrate it to 3.7p1 and vBlog, what steps would you go though? Any assistance you can provide in planning for success would be greatly appreciated!

James and Susan

Hola, so nice to get a pre-planning post

Originally posted by Tigratrus View Post
    1. Is it better to do the vBlogetin -> vBlog import first and *then* upgrade from 3.6.8? Or should we Upgrade from 3.6.8 -> 3.7 P1 and then import the vBlogetin data into vBlog?
    Upgrade vBulletin first, then do the import.

2. Are there any specific lessons learned that I should be aware of before trying the migration? Any problems that you have seen that I should watch out for?
    Merge the users on userid during the user module, then don't re-run the module as it will delete the users, as they have now been assigned importuserid's.

Apart from that & run the testing a few times, just run each of the modules once when you do the import, most of the issues come from people re-running the user module or hitting refresh or back during an import.

Basically, if you had a largish forum running 3.6.8 p2 with vBlogetin and you were going to migrate it to 3.7p1 and vBlog, what steps would you go though? Any assistance you can provide in planning for success would be greatly appreciated!
    1. Copy the live site to the test site.
    2. Upgrade the test site
    3. Un-install vBlogatin & copy the tables to another database (which will become the source) or ensure there is a table prefix as not to have a table name clash (and use the same database as the source).
    4. Install vBlog.
    5. Install ImpEx.
    6. Run import & view results, then list steps for clean up and/or post more questions here.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

::thumbs up::

Thanks Jerry!

I try to do practice runs of major upgrades, and as we're changing from Vba CMPS -> Joomla 1.5.3 & vB 3.6.8 -> vB 3.7 p1 & vBlogetin -> vBlog all in one big step, I'd say it's a pretty freaking major upgrade!

Does it matter what version of vBlogetin we're running?

I'm a bit fuzzy on *why* anyone would run the User Module more than once, but I assume it'll make more sense to me when I actually start going through the process, at least I know what to look out for!

James and Susan

Comment

The exact version that I used to write the importer from was : vBlogatin 1.0 Beta 3.

The modules can be re-run to remove imported data and re-import it. It's common to re-run a post module in a system a few times to test the parsing and clean up stages.

Though with any user association, when a module is re-run the associated users are currently treated as imported ones and deleted.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Ran into a snag... I think we're running an older version of vBlogetin

I get:
          Code:
          blog_attach [B]NOT[/B] found. 	
          blog_feed [B]NOT[/B] found. 	
          blog_feedlog [B]NOT[/B] found. 	
          blog_layouts [B]NOT[/B] found.
          when I try to start the import, I think those tables were added in a later version. I might be able to get a copy, but as they have been put out of business it might be tough :-(. Is there a way to bypass those tables and run the rest of the import?

James and Susan

Comment

The tables themselves aren't actually used during the import itself, though they are checked for, you can continue the import.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

So should I just create empty tables with those names? The import process doesn't give me an option to proceed while I've got errors, I get:
              The incorrect target to export to has been chosen for this source system, restart the import with a new session and select the correct version and system to export to.

Comment

Doh! ::headsmack::

NVM
                I R Idjit I am. lrning 2 red reel goot now.

James and Susan

Comment

User Association

When doing the User Association can I just leave the right hand column empty for it to use the same user ID? I've got a *lot* of these to do and don't want to go down the whole screen that many times just copy/pasting every single userid, since it's all going to be the same anyway?

James and Susan

Comment

When doing the User Association can I just leave the right hand column empty for it to use the same user ID? I've got a *lot* of these to do and don't want to go down the whole screen that many times just copy/pasting every single userid, since it's all going to be the same anyway?

James and Susan
                    As per my first post :

Merge the users on userid during the user module, then don't re-run the module as it will delete the users, as they have now been assigned importuserid's.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Help?

Ok... I'm pretty frustrated at the moment.

The import looked like it was going fine all the way though but when I went into look I got blank pages in the ACP for Blog Moderators, Blog Entries and Update counters. I reset the import session and ids and tried running through it again.

No dice. Then I tried to uninstall the vBlog product so I could strip it all out and start from scratch. DB errors and the uninstall failed. Tried reinstalling vBlog and *then* uninstalling it, no luck still erroring out. So Itried manually deleting all the Blog tables, THEN installing and uninstalling, but the install failed to actually create the BLOG tables?!

Is there a way to remove the vBlog product alltogether so I can try this all from the start without wiping the whole test install? Setting this all up is a Major project and my wife's got a couple days worth of template modifications done etc...

James and Susan

Comment

It was all blank after you updated the counters, though ImpEx said it had imported everything ?

I reset the import session and ids and tried running through it again.
                        What did you do there ? you can delete the session and you can remove the imported data and/or remove the import id's which finalises the import.

DB errors and the uninstall failed.
                        What were/are the errors ?
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I chose the option that removes the session and the import IDs so you can do successive imports. Can't get into IMPEX now as I've just got a looping Login prompt, probably because the vBlog tables are gone(I deleted them manually after Uninstalling vBlog failed, reinstalling then uninstalling vBlog failed to see if reinstalling would regenerate clean vBlog tables).

I'm afraid I didn't copy paste the original error, but it was stating that there was a SQL error in the uninstall. Obviously, once I deleted the vBlog tables the problem is that it's trying to drop tables that don't exist. Is there anyway to get the SQL scripts to create an fresh vBlog DB so I can try uninstalling again?

It's ok if this test server install is screwy as we're only using it to work out the migration and do all the template edits we need. All templates were reverted before we started, so we were working from a blank slate.

James and Susan

<edit>It was all blank after you updated the counters, though ImpEx said it had imported everything ? -> Yes</edit>

Comment

I chose the option that removes the session and the import IDs so you can do successive imports.
                            That finalises the import, meaning the original data is there, to restart the import you delete the session and the imported data.

Can't get into IMPEX now as I've just got a looping Login prompt, probably because the vBlog tables are gone(I deleted them manually after Uninstalling vBlog failed, reinstalling then uninstalling vBlog failed to see if reinstalling would regenerate clean vBlog tables).
                            Browsing directly to the impex/help.php page and deleting the session should take care of that.

It's ok if this test server install is screwy as we're only using it to work out the migration and do all the template edits we need. All templates were reverted before we started, so we were working from a blank slate.
                            Personally I'd take a back up of the template edits (and work) you have done via the admincp, then delete the whole thing and start again.

If ImpEx said it had imported the data, the focus/issue should be on the clean up to get it showing etc, as it must have been there somewhere.
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Thanks Jerry

::nods::

I'd about come to the same conclusion. After letting the frustration meter drop a bit, I've been thinking about the fact that the whole thing is a trial for the upgrade process. I've got a full C-Panel backup of the test server before starting any upgrades, so I'll make a folder with txt files of all the templates we've done so far, then start to process to roll back to the backup and run though the whole thing over again. It'll give me a chance to try out the step-by-step walk through I've been creating as I've been working though this. I'll probably be back tomorrow to let you know how it all went.

Hopefully it'll be a nice short post .
                              ::knocking on head for lack of any other wood::

James and Susan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X