• Jerry
    replied
    And in return I keep the latest UBB.Thread importer very much up to date

Leave a comment:

• Silver_2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    Now it all makes sense
    They likely did the import just fine, though got it up and running and didn't finish it off properly :

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_multi_import
    if they had done a successful import in 2002 of the content, then I would have nothing to import now.
    I have no idea what happened, but perhaps the UBB importers didn't work well or they could only get the users to import
    The ubb was running on a windows box maybe all the asp code got in the way when they tried moving it to Linux.
    who knows - could have been anything

Im just happy its working and happy to have folks like you to help

PS - While working on this, I also sent email to Groupee sales ( ubb company ) I was trying to get info regarding upgrading UBB to more recent version to avoid having to deal with the VB2 importer php issues. 10 days after I sent an email using their contact form I got this reply:

My apologies for the delayed response. Seems our sales questions weren't going into our ticket system.

We no longer have any documentation on getting that old of a version running, however we could certainly get it upgraded to our very latest UBB.threads version.
    So the results from their contact form are disappearing into the bit bucket somewhere. Which caused a 10 day delay in answering a question from a customer wanting to send them betwen $100 and $200 us. I waited 10 days to find out that the software is available and "should work", but they have no documentation ... LOL Priceless
    Last edited by Silver_2000; Tue 3rd Jun '08, 11:56am. Reason: wow - run on sentences and lack of punctuation

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Now it all makes sense

The reason the table check would take a while on a database of that size would be due to it needing to create the import id field for all the rows (not strictly necessary, though the way ImpEx currently works).

Which makes me wonder why they didn't import the threads and posts at that time... Maybe it failed and they couldn't fix it
    They likely did the import just fine, though got it up and running and didn't finish it off properly :

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_multi_import

All is well that ends well, and testament to setting up a test system and coming here with your issues first before running an import on a live site, commendable, good luck with it

Leave a comment:

• Silver_2000
    replied
    Jerry

Thanks a TON for your help

Other than the first step - the database check and clean up the import went perfect

Its working fine now -

Apparently there were import ids left over from the import done in 2002
    Which makes me wonder why they didn't import the threads and posts at that time... Maybe it failed and they couldn't fix it

But after removing the import ids from the original dump the process was much better

Now to remember what I did and schedule some down time to do the real thing to the live site

Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Silver_2000
    replied
    great info thanks

there were some import ids in various tables - must have been from long time back import ...

Ive dropped the DB and am reimporting now

The database check step is taking a really long time but Im going to let it go a couple hours just to be sure. At the begining the load went up while it was running but for the past 30 min or so the load is back at 0.2

the server can repair the tables in the big db in about 5 min.

I REALLY want this import to work so ill leave it for another hour

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    If the target database base tables, say user or thread, have the fields "importpostid" & "importthreadid" for instance and there are various values in there, then it's had an import before, and ensuring all those fields are 0 (finalising the previous import) is required.

ImpEx can do that on the help page, though check the target database before hand.

Leave a comment:

• Silver_2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    ImpEx will create a target forum from the one it finds in the source, it can't import into a forum that it didn't create as it would have an import id, the only way it could do that is if the target is a forum created from an import that has un-finalised import id's lingering it in.

The target forum will remain untouched for it's existing data, all the new data will be added, there is no forum merging, the only thing that it is possiable to merge is users.
    Looks like another test import is in my future
    how do I check the database that Im going to restore to - for Import ids ?

When I did the import, the forum import failed on about half the forums - so I immediately redid that section and it completed - I guess I should have removed the import ids before redoing the forum import ?

If this works correctly and I have a forum "Apple" in the source and the destination - I will end up with 2 forums named "Apple" after the import ?

Thats ok - I just want to know what to expect

Thanks for all your help

EDIT - Maybe I should rename some of the source forums prior to import to avoid confusion ?
    Last edited by Silver_2000; Mon 2nd Jun '08, 2:35pm.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Silver_2000 View Post
    The result is that if a forum existed in both the source and the destination the data visible in the destination is only the OLD data the source data
    ImpEx will create a target forum from the one it finds in the source, it can't import into a forum that it didn't create as it would have an import id, the only way it could do that is if the target is a forum created from an import that has un-finalised import id's lingering it in.

if a forum did NOT exist in the source then the destination has live current data
    The target forum will remain untouched for it's existing data, all the new data will be added, there is no forum merging, the only thing that it is possiable to merge is users.

Leave a comment:

• Silver_2000
    replied
    yeah sorry I know its confusing
    So if the forums wasn't in the source, it's post are in the target ?
    yes your statement is correct

I have a DB that has 130k posts from 2000-2002 that was in UBB - its now been migrated to Vb 3.6.x thats the source data

I have a copy of a live VB install with current data - 1.3 million posts
    - thats the destination data

I used Impex to move the source data into the destination DB, the only changes I made was to wipe all but the admins from the user table.

The result is that if a forum existed in both the source and the destination the data visible in the destination is only the OLD data the source data

if a forum did NOT exist in the source then the destination has live current data

a link is here
    http://www.superchargedtrucks.com/nloclive/
    Ill open it in a second

here is the UBB data only ( the source data )
    http://www.superchargedtrucks.com/oldnloc/
    and
    here is the forum we grabbed the live data from ( copy of destination db ) a few days back
    http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/

dont forget that as I said if I look in the Posts table the there are approx 1.5 million entries - which would equal the number of source posts plus destination posts ...

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    In checking it appears that if the forum section didnt exist in the source database then the posts are visible in the merged forum - but if the forum section existed in both the source and destination then all that can be seen from links off the home page are the OLD or "source" posts
    OK that's confusing !!

So if the forums wasn't in the source, it's post are in the target ?

ImpEx should re-create all the forums from the source into the target, opposed to importing into existing ones.

Leave a comment:

• Silver_2000
    replied
    In checking it appears that if the forum section didnt exist in the source database then the posts are visible in the merged forum - but if the forum section existed in both the source and destination then all that can be seen from links off the home page are the OLD or "source" posts

Leave a comment:

• Silver_2000
    replied
    Im not sure what I mean either .. lets ignore the forums issue for now

I have updated all the possible counters ( I think )

The posts table shows 1.5 million entries which suggests that the merged data is all there.
    BUT the stats are off on the home page and if you click the sections they only show the imported data ( 2000 to 2002 data range ) not the data the was in the destination DB

I would post a link but its currently closed

Its likely something simple but I have been neck deep in this too long to be able to see it

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Yes, thatís normal if it canít get the post title.

As long as you have the green number then itís a valid post.

Youíll have to update the rebuild the counters for the post count to show.

What looks like a permissions error ?

so the members looks right since none were imported - the posts and threads are approx 3x the source data - but not exactly ...
    Iím not sure what you are saying there.

there are forums that exist in the database but dont appear in the admincp or on the home page
    Then check that they have a parent id in the database and are visible.

Leave a comment:

• Silver_2000
    replied
    In further checking there has to be some permissions issue

there are forums that exist in the database but dont appear in the admincp or on the home page

Leave a comment: