re-import fromscratch except forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-import fromscratch except forums

In the Impex re-import options, which one should I use to delete all the imported data except for the forum structure ? I've tested an import, set all the permissions up how I want them and now I want to do the live import.

Or is there a way for impex to know the status of the last import and just import what's changed on the old SMF forum ?

Originally posted by dalben View Post
    In the Impex re-import options, which one should I use to delete all the imported data except for the forum structure ? I've tested an import, set all the permissions up how I want them and now I want to do the live import.
    You can just re-run all the modules after the forums, though take a back up.

Or is there a way for impex to know the status of the last import and just import what's changed on the old SMF forum ?
    Not yet, that is a differential import and not currently supported.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
      You can just re-run all the modules after the forums, though take a back up.

Not yet, that is a differential import and not currently supported.
      I need to understand this as I am in the same position

What you are saying is that you can do an initial import eg. from Monday, setup your board and permissions and do the latest import again eg. the Friday (using all the data).

Are you not overwriting board setups,users and permissions by importing again?????

Comment

As long as you only re-run the threads & post modules and don't create any more forums or allow user registration it's fine.

Ideally you do an import up to and including the forums, then take a back up and set up that board, with forum permissions and usergroups etc (after disabling user registration). Then when the time comes you can close the source board and run the import.

The point of having the back up being that once it's set up, you can restore to that point with the back up meaning you can test the import for timing and clear up issues then ask here about it. Without effecting or closing the source board, and plan a migration.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Thanks Jerry

That throws a lot more light on the subject

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
            As long as you only re-run the threads & post modules and don't create any more forums or allow user registration it's fine.
            That would have been an issue for us as we didn't want to prevent new registrations during the week we were testing and tweeking VB. I tried your instructions but somehow lost all links attachments. We ended up deleting it all and starting again.

I think the ability for a differential migration should be on the tings to do list. it allows admins to play with relative live data, tweek styles, add add-ons, configure groups and permissions etc and then do a fairly quick final migration with minimal downtime.

Comment

I think the ability for a differential migration should be on the tings to do list. it allows admins to play with relative live data, tweek styles, add add-ons, configure groups and permissions etc and then do a fairly quick final migration with minimal downtime.
              Hear hear! +1000000000

Getting to grips with Vb with data and then having to do it all again when doing the final import is a pain in the butt - especially with multiple groups

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X