No announcement yet.

Making a phpBB Conversion Sting Less...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a phpBB Conversion Sting Less...

Would it be possible to implement a system for people who have migrated from a phpBB board to allow them to log-in with their old password, then be forced to set their password upon login so it can be re-hashed into MD5?

I was thinking that all imported users should be "flagged" in the database that their password is using the old phpBB hash. So, if someone tries logging into that particular username, then vB will employ the phpBB hashing method, only to verify who they are and to force them to change their password. The phpBB method can be found here: http://www.openwall.com/phpass/

I know that this is a very long shot, and I'm not sure how currently migrated communities cope after importing their userbase without their passwords, but it might simplify people's lives.

PS. It's just a suggestion!
    -- David.

If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
    This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

That is one way of doing it, though vBulletin dosen't support other password handling other that it's own at the moment (without hacking or plugins). The typical way of handling this is :

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_passwords
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

That's exactly why I suggested this. You use the old system's hashing method to verify the user, then get them to change their password so it's re-hashed to MD5. That's the general idea of it. It wouldn't surprise me if other's have thought of this, but I'm not exactly a plugin maker.
      -- David.

If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
      This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

Comment

This has been thought about and would require a plugin as you mention, though the primary requirement behind ImpEx is not to alter or modify the vBulletin database, and to protect it, secondly is to import.

I think a external auth (i.e. holding the source boards pass & salt) plugin (likely from vBulletin.org) and an option in ImpEx to support this will be what ends up happening in the short term.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X