Question Concerning Duplicate Admins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Concerning Duplicate Admins

I've been running a few "test imports" on my local test server. I've surprised myself because they have been successful. However, I have a couple of questions. When I import on my live board I'm concerned about the identity of my admin profile. He imports without issue, but now I have 2 admins. Obviously I want to keep my old profile. I tried to merge the 2 users but I received a message saying it was not allowed. Whats the best way to deal with this? Second, $impexconfig['source']['server'] within ImpExConfig.php How do I know if my webserver is located on the same computer as the data base? Currently I'm using shared hosting. Lastly, when I was selecting which software to import from, the only option was phpBB RC7 (I use phpBB 3.0.0) and the only software to import to was VB 3.6.9 (I use VB 3.6.10). It still imported but just wanted to confirm I am using the latest version. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by tr!p View Post
    I tried to merge the 2 users but I received a message saying it was not allowed. Whats the best way to deal with this?
    ImpEx will no merge an incoming user with an admin, you have to do it manually with the admincp after the import.

Second, $impexconfig['source']['server'] within ImpExConfig.php How do I know if my webserver is located on the same computer as the data base?
    That is up to knowing your site's configuration and layout, a question for your ISP if you don't know. Either that or install vBulletin with a table prefix and have all the source and target tables in the same database.

Lastly, when I was selecting which software to import from, the only option was phpBB RC7 (I use phpBB 3.0.0) and the only software to import to was VB 3.6.9 (I use VB 3.6.10). It still imported but just wanted to confirm I am using the latest version. Thanks in advance.
    Yes, select the versions shown in the drop down that you've mentioned and it will be OK for the latest version of vBulletin and phpBB3.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I've tried to merge them, however I get this message "Sorry, this user is protected from being altered in the config.php file by the $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] variable."

Comment

I've tried to merge them, however I get this message "Sorry, this user is protected from being altered in the config.php file by the $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] variable."
        Then there is your answer.

You're trying to merge the original admin into the imported one, opposed to the other way around.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Same message either way. I have a couple of generic test users and I can merge them without issue. Giving my original profile admin rights is a work around but I just don't want the number one member named admin with 1 post appearing in the member list. Sounds trivial, but this is the last issue before importing live (unless something else pops up).

Comment

You can edit the includes/config.php tio remove that userid from the protected ones and then merge them.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Redirect After Import?

Whats the cleanest way to set up my root directory before importing? My current live board is installed within the root directory, "www.example.com" accesses the existing board. My fear is if I create another directory within the root called VB and install VBulletin into that directory, I don't want to have to type "www.example.com/vb" to access the new board.

Comment

You will have to upload ot move all the vB files and subdirectories to the 'vb' directory. Then set the correct forum URL here:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details -> Forum URL

And in the Members Area under 'License Options':

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So, there is no way to install the VBulletin directly in the root? I can't blow away my old board before the import even though the database is still intact?

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. You can install vB in your root. However if you have anything else there you need to make sure that they do not have the same file names as vB.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

That makes sense, I'll have a peek and see if there is no conflicting files between phpBB3 and VBulletin installed in the root directory. I'm trying to avoid a redirect to a VB folder if at all possible. Thanks Steve.

Comment

They both have index.php for starters.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I just double checked. Yes and a couple others in common as well. So much for the easy way out.

Comment

Yes, that worked like a charm. Just in case somebody else ran into the same problem and wants the specifics. Within config.php the code looks like this $config['SpecialUsers']['undeletableusers'] = '1'; Simply remove the 1. Thanks again.

Comment

If you are closing your source board before the final import, which is the thing to do, you can just rename the phpBB3 files to "index.php.phpbb3.bck" or something like that.
                              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X