No announcement yet.

Can't import any users on second try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All forums are imported, regardless of status. You should cclose the forums while doing any import, otherwise there is a high likelihood of data being messed up.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
      All forums are imported, regardless of status.
      Yes I know but that's sort of the point....wouldn't it be safe to import a forum that is archived on the source board with the overall forum site still open ? In other words, a forum that no one could be adding to or altering in any way during the import even when all the other forums are still "open" ?

I would be monitoring the process of course and when I see Forum 24 is finished import, then I would close the source site to import the other forums that would be otherwise still active.

FWIW, I should have said Forum 1 for this example instead of Forum 24, but hopefully you get the idea.

Comment

You cannot do a partial import, i.e., importing one forum at a time.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by D. Thomas View Post
          Well, I now know why the import got slower and slower as it progressed...just amazing I had to figure it out on my own......
          Because of the nature of the source data, the only way to speed it up is to set the dupe_checking to false in ImpExConfig, though then you trade speed for the integrity to a degree,
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Idealy you should shut the forums as Steve has said.

That being said ........ knowing how long ubb.classic imports take, you're plan would work in theory, by having all the others closed (or hidden or with a redirect) to protect them from change.

ImpEx will be ok, it's just the consistency of the source data that is the issue with importing against an open form, and in ubb.classics case PHP getting a read on the files while perl is using some of them.

Answer in short is it's a bit risky, but can be done, though I advise against it.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
              Delete the session and then start the import again and ensure that you run each module twice up to and including the users module.
              Sorry to bump in here, but I had one question. I ran each module only once during conversion and the conversion went without a glitch. Is running a module twice a must or it is recommended only in case when errors occur? Thank you

Comment

That is only needed if something goes wrong.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                  That is only needed if something goes wrong.
                  Thank you for your answer . Now it is clear to me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                    Because of the nature of the source data, the only way to speed it up is to set the dupe_checking to false in ImpExConfig, though then you trade speed for the integrity to a degree,
                    Bingo, just wish someone had told me this weeks ago...would have saved alot of headache. In my case I was trading "integrity" for the possiblity of doing it at all...it was that or nothing.

Comment

OK, thanks. I did it and am finished now and all seems to be ok...but of course no way to know for sure just yet.

Comment

Member number still zero, even after deleting imported usersgroup

Members are now in registered usergroup and do show at member searchs and logins do work, but in the stats at bottom of page still showing zero members.

Under "maintenance" I have updated user titles and ranks, rebuilt thread and forum data. I think I "updated user names" but can't remember now. Any ideas ?

Should I "rebuild statistics" ?

Rebuilding statistics will cause the loss of the total forum view and active users data. Only run this if you believe you really need to! Once the data has been replaced, there is no way to restore your database
                        Last edited by D. Thomas; Tue 27 Nov '07, 7:41am.

Comment

Originally posted by D. Thomas View Post
                          Members are now in registered usergroup and do show at member searchs and logins do work, but in the stats at bottom of page still showing zero members.

Under "maintenance" I have updated user titles and ranks, rebuilt thread and forum data. I think I "updated user names" but can't remember now. Any ideas ?

Should I "rebuild statistics" ?

Rebuilding statistics will cause the loss of the total forum view and active users data. Only run this if you believe you really need to! Once the data has been replaced, there is no way to restore your database
                          Though all the members appear in the usergroup manager ?
                          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X