Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impex 1.85 & discus 4.09 pro - using first names as usernames

Hi

I just did some test imports with a discus board. I used the txt-file import option.

Users & threads got imported successfully. But in all postings, the umlaute (ä,ö,ü etc.) are displayed not correctly.

Surprisingly it works in the threadtitel, but not within the thread itself.

Umlaute are displayed there as html code i.e. ö etc.

How can I change this?

Thanks in advance

Impex 1.85 & discus 4.09 pro - using first names as usernames

Hi

When I Import into vb 3.68 (with impex 1.85 and discus 4.09 pro, txt-file import), all forums and threads are imported successfully.

But I always have to go to forum manager within ACP and check the box for each thread that it is a normal forum.

If not, I see only the forum titel and when I click on it, nothing is behind it.

Why is this and how can I change this before/during the import, so that I do not have to change this each time afterwards manually for each forum in ACP?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Hi

When I import into vb, it only imports username & email address correctly. The other user-profile-fields like homepage etc. get either not imported at all or as strange signs.

Example for "homepage":

0=Internet;0=Digitale;0=Nikon+Coolscan+9000;0=Photoshop+CS2;0=;0=;0=Frauenfeld;0=Schweiz;0 =20%2f2;0=

a) How can I change this, so that it imports all user-profile fields too?

I have around 20 different profile fields for each user and all users are using them.

b) Is there any possibility to import also the avatar of the users (profile image)

Thanks in advance
      Last edited by snoopy5; Tue 25 Sep '07, 1:40am.

Comment

Hi

I just found out in my testimports, that IMPEX always uses the first name as the "username" instead the real username saved in the discus database/ txt file.

It simply ignores the username of the discus user. Whatever is the first word in the field "full name" it takes it and uses it as username in vb.

in vb-threads it displays then all these users-profile links as "non clickable" within each posting so as if they were already deleted but postings still readable.

This should not happen

But when I do research in the userdatabase in ACP the real username is in the database with the correct e-mail address. And if a user makes password recovery and posts a message, this new message belongs to the correct username. But no link to the old postings, since real anme (first name) and username are always different.

How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance

Comment

I merged them all so i can multi quote to answer and then in one thread so I can keep track of what's going on in the import over all

Quoting now.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

o.k.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy5 View Post
              Hi

I just did some test imports with a discus board. I used the txt-file import option.
              The table file or the HTML file ?

Users & threads got imported successfully. But in all postings, the umlaute (ä,ö,ü etc.) are displayed not correctly.

Surprisingly it works in the threadtitel, but not within the thread itself.
              Is the source language German ?

Most likely it's getting parsed by ImpEx then, you should be able to revert that with cleaner.php.

Umlaute are displayed there as html code i.e. ö etc.

How can I change this?
              cleaner.php.

When I Import into vb 3.68 (with impex 1.85 and discus 4.09 pro, txt-file import), all forums and threads are imported successfully.

But I always have to go to forum manager within ACP and check the box for each thread that it is a normal forum.

If not, I see only the forum titel and when I click on it, nothing is behind it.

Why is this and how can I change this before/during the import, so that I do not have to change this each time afterwards manually for each forum in ACP?
              You have to set something for the threads or the forum ? I'm not 100% sure what you mean.

Hi

When I import into vb, it only imports username & email address correctly. The other user-profile-fields like homepage etc. get either not imported at all or as strange signs.

Example for "homepage":

0=Internet;0=Digitale;0=Nikon+Coolscan+9000;0=Photoshop+CS2;0=;0=;0=Frauenfeld;0=Schweiz;0 =20%2f2;0=

a) How can I change this, so that it imports all user-profile fields too?
              The only fields that can be imported are ones that already exist in vBulletin, ImpEx tried to parse them out where it can find them.

I have around 20 different profile fields for each user and all users are using them.

b) Is there any possibility to import also the avatar of the users (profile image)[/QUOTE]

I don't think that has every been supported for discus.

Hi

I just found out in my testimports, that IMPEX always uses the first name as the "username" instead the real username saved in the discus database/ txt file.

It simply ignores the username of the discus user. Whatever is the first word in the field "full name" it takes it and uses it as username in vb.
              It takes the unique one, there is no concept of a display name.

in vb-threads it displays then all these users-profile links as "non clickable" within each posting so as if they were already deleted but postings still readable.

This should not happen
              Don't understand what you mean.

But when I do research in the userdatabase in ACP the real username is in the database with the correct e-mail address. And if a user makes password recovery and posts a message, this new message belongs to the correct username. But no link to the old postings, since real anme (first name) and username are always different.

How can I fix this?
              If the posts aren't associated with the user then you can't you'd have to use some SQL to lookup and merge on the display name to the real name.
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                The table file or the HTML file ?
                ???

I have only 2 options in the impex dropdown selection

a) discus 4.06 file
                b) discus tabs

I have choosen a) at the moment

Is the source language German ?
                Yes. I will check this with cleaner.php later....

You have to set something for the threads or the forum ? I'm not 100% sure what you mean.
                See the screenshots

The only fields that can be imported are ones that already exist in vBulletin, ImpEx tried to parse them out where it can find them.
                o.k., but why profile images & homepage are then not imported?

It takes the unique one, there is no concept of a display name.
                The only unique one in discus is the username. Even the admin can not change it without hacking the code.

But vb takes the first name of the discus field "fullname" as the username. See screenshots

In one screenshot you see how it is in discus. username and full name. in de othet screenshot you see how it is displayed in vb after import and on anothet screenshot the same username with the right username in the db of vb after import.

So it takes the first name of the fullname (or whatever is the first word in that field) for the display in the posting and imports at the same time the user correctly but without a "link" of that user to his posting.

Impex treats it as if it would be 2 different users. One that posted and who is "dead" and one that is in the database alive
                Attached Files

Comment

one side note: how do I activate the cleaner.php?

Comment

I forgot to mention one excemption:

In the vb testintsall of which I sent you the link and admin data, if the first name is the same as the username from a user, then all postings are matched with that username and a Userprofile exist.

BUT in 99% of those cases, these are 2 different persons in reality and should not have been merged.

Example: username Klaus

the fullname was Klaus "smith" username xyz

From another person, the username was "Klaus"

after the import, both persons are the same for the postings. But both persons do exist with the correct username and real name in the vb db.

Comment

1)

I would advise, exporting your discus boards to the tab file back up and using the option b) as it's a much better importer.

2)

Yes cleaner should be able to do that.

3)

In the tab file importer you can choose the displayname or the login name to be the vBulletin username.

4)

Quite likely as ImpEx is miss parsing the user file data due to a different format or the explode() not getting the correct value for the separator.

5)

Cleaner.php has a variable in the file set to false so it can't be run without being read and configured.
                      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

o.k., I tried the same now with the discus board tab file back up. But it still does not work properly

Although I opted for the login name in IMPEX, the postings are displayed now with full anme plus username, but theer is no link to the userproifle.

if I do serach for the suername in ACP of vb, the suer exist and is displayed properly with ACP.

So again, the IMPEX script treats the author of postings totally independant from the users it is importing. As if it would be 2 different persons, the one group registerd, the other group not existing anymore.

Current issues:

1. in each posting with vb it should not display username and real name (fullname) at the same time. This is a real issue, since users get really nervous nowadays seeing their eral name on the internet.

2. Not all forums get imported. Only forums which have at least one posting in it. I would like to have really all forums imported, whether there are already postings in it or not. This saves me the time to check and add later on forums manually. I am planning to convert 30+ forums over the time, so I need to save time.

3. The "Umlaute" problem is still there. I did not try the cleaner.php yet. If I use cleaner.php, am I still able to make "Database cleanup & restart" in the ACP of vb later on?

4. Directly after the import, I can login with my old username WITHOUT typing in a password and write a comment. This should not be possible by default after the import.

5. Once logged in (see #4) the propoer username is displayed with my posting, BUT I have the title "new user" with posting number "#1". So it treats me like a totally new user, regardless how many postings I made in the old discus forum with the same username.
                        Last edited by snoopy5; Thu 27 Sep '07, 8:16am.

Comment

But it still does not work properly
                          It will never be perfect coming from discus, far from it, it's a difficult system to read the data out of.

Although I opted for the login name in IMPEX, the postings are displayed now with full anme plus username, but theer is no link to the userproifle.

if I do serach for the suername in ACP of vb, the suer exist and is displayed properly with ACP.
                          That will be for the users, the posts themselves will be displayed with the names that were used in the discus source.

So again, the IMPEX script treats the author of postings totally independant from the users it is importing. As if it would be 2 different persons, the one group registerd, the other group not existing anymore.
                          As they are stored and displayed in discuss, unless they can be matched by ImpEx there isn't much it can do.

2. Not all forums get imported. Only forums which have at least one posting in it. I would like to have really all forums imported, whether there are already postings in it or not. This saves me the time to check and add later on forums manually. I am planning to convert 30+ forums over the time, so I need to save time.
                          If there is nothing in there, then they likely aren’t in the tree file, and if there isn't one of them ImpEx wont import them, either post in the source or re create it in the target.

3. The "Umlaute" problem is still there. I did not try the cleaner.php yet. If I use cleaner.php, am I still able to make "Database cleanup & restart" in the ACP of vb later on?
                          Well if you haven't cleaned then yes, it's still going to be there. Yes you can run cleaner then restart ImpEx, though it's best with a lot of import tests to revert to the backup taken just before the import was run.

4. Directly after the import, I can login with my old username WITHOUT typing in a password and write a comment. This should not be possible by default after the import.
                          I've updated impex/systems/DiscusWare4Pro_tabfile/002.php to set a random password now.

5. Once logged in (see #4) the propoer username is displayed with my posting, BUT I have the title "new user" with posting number "#1". So it treats me like a totally new user, regardless how many postings I made in the old discus forum with the same username.
                          You'll have to associate the posts that ImpEx couldn't with the imported users (best way would be to match the userid on the username then update the post userid) as ImpEx couldn't during the import, then update the user post count.
                          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Hi

That will be for the users, the posts themselves will be displayed with the names that were used in the discus source.
                            o.k., But in Discus it uses on my boards currently both, the username AND the full at the same time (see url I sent you)

How about changing the code in IMPEX that it is using during import for the postings only the username field within the posting and ignore the fullname field. i guess this is easy to change, or do I oversee here something?

I can not change the display within the postings backwords in discus. Only for future postings. I can change within duscus the template to hide the fullname, but this does not help for the import script, since IMPEX does not care about the template. So I need a code-change in Impex to use only the username fields within the posting.

As they are stored and displayed in discuss, unless they can be matched by ImpEx there isn't much it can do.
                            As mentioned above, on my boards it is displaying both at the same time in each posting. Username AND full name. So why can IMPEX not match with the username? It seems to me that IMPEX ignores here the username and just uses the fullname for this "matching process". Maybe because fullname is displayed first and only below this the username? (see my URL). This should be changed in IMPEX so that it always only uses the username.

You'll have to associate the posts that ImpEx couldn't with the imported users (best way would be to match the userid on the username then update the post userid) as ImpEx couldn't during the import, then update the user post count.
                            If IMPEX would only cares about the username, I do think this problem would not exist anymore. Before trying to fix a lot of things manually after the import, I would prefer a code change so that this problem even does not happen anymore.

I know that it is hard to make an import script for discus. And the current status is already very good. But I think with a few minor changes, this would become a perfect full automated and in every situation correct import script. The "driver" within discus is the username. Everything is dominated by this. So if IMPEX pays attention to that, almost nothing can go wrong.

I read a lot about user who imported from discus to vb. And I disagree with them that discus is not a good forum software. It has weaknesses and strenghths like every software. Vbulletin is neither perfect.

I do believe that the main reason why imports are difficult with discus is that the former owners of discus do not know the software very well and rush to fast to import it without really testing and trying everyinthing out beforehand.

We have now the opportunity to test this as long as it takes to make the IMPEX-discus importer really shine. I have boards enough to test really every kind of situations, configurations and sizes (up to 8.000 users if needed).

If we work closely over the next 2-3 days over these issues together, I am convinced that you will achieve a perfect discus-Impex script (we have 7 hours time difference by the way). Since it seems that discus stopped further developments, many more owners of discus will use it then to do the switch...

Comment

o.k., I did research more and uploaded some screenshots for easier understanding.

On the discus testboard I use currently, there are 2 different scenarios of displaying fullname and username within the same board. This is due to changes in the ACP within discus over the time. Every change regarding this is only applied to new postings, never to old postings (one of the few weaknesses of the discuss software).

I uploaded for both a screenshot of how it is displayed in discus and how the same userposting is displayed in vb after the same import. So it is really the same board and the exact same import.

Scenario #1: Display of Fullname first, below that the username and 2 lines later again the same username. So 1x fullname and twice the username in the same posting in discus. See first screenshot.

Outcome in vb after import: It displays the fullname AND the username within vb. No association with the same username in the vb database. See second screenshot.

Scenario #2: Display of Fullname first, some lines below that the username. See third screenshot.

Outcome in vb after import: It displays ONLY the fullname NOT the username. Again no association with the username in the vb database. See fourth screenshot.

See screenshots to compare. I marked the username in red.

So this is strange for me. How does a different "template-design" for the posting in discus is changing the behaviour of the IMPEX-discus script?

The only difference here is the template. In Scenario #1 the username is displayed twice. But it is neverteheless the exact same username. In Scenario #2 the username is only displayed once in discus, so why the username then disappears in vb suddenly?

Is IMPEX getting the data from the same field in both cases?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by snoopy5; Fri 28 Sep '07, 3:33am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X