Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Import from phpBB: figuring out what failed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by barefootcoder View Post
    By which I think you mean you won't help me work on that part.
    Basically due to what can go wrong and I don't want to explain it and then have others attempt it and fubar their boards.

    Originally posted by barefootcoder View Post
    So I completely understand your position on this, because I'm deviating from the script and you don't want to be responsible for helping me screw something up (I'm a developer myself, so I can't say I wouldn't take the same stand as you were I in your shoes), but ANAICT I'm just stuck here with the approach I'm taking and I've got to make the best of it.
    You can check out ImpExDatabaseCore for "function import_forum", "function import_user" etc and reading through the code might help you understand the table dependencies.
    I wrote ImpEx.

    Blog | Me

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Jerry View Post
      Basically due to what can go wrong and I don't want to explain it and then have others attempt it and fubar their boards.
      Okay, fair enough.

      Originally posted by Jerry View Post
      You can check out ImpExDatabaseCore for "function import_forum", "function import_user" etc and reading through the code might help you understand the table dependencies.
      Thanx. I think that'll be helpful.

      Okay, so let's tackle another topic. Conversion of text sizes doesn't work well, because the sizes in phpBB and vB don't even have the same ranges. phpBB is 0 to 30(ish), and vB is 1 to 7. Now, I've gotten one of my beta-testers to come up with a decent conversion chart. If you can point me in the ImpEx code to where this happens, I can probably submit you a patch to make the sizes look a lot closer than they are now.

      Comment


      • #18
        Line 106 of impex/systems/000.php

        Is the text size handler along with the function below it pixel_size_mapping().
        I wrote ImpEx.

        Blog | Me

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by barefootcoder View Post
          Another thing I just noticed:
          Welcome to our newest member, a
          I'm currently in the exact same process of doing "Test rounds" for eventually migrating my phpBB 2.0.22 board to VB 3.6.8, and the "Newest member, a" was one of the things that was giving me a headache, specially since it's not easy looking for that specific case on this support forum (because on the restriction of short search terms)

          Anyway... I was able to solve using the "Maintnance > Update Counters > Update User Names" option. Give it a try, it should work on your board also.

          BTW... I haven't had much luck importing the user's avatars from my phpBB board. I've copied them locally on a directory that's accesible by the web server where VB is installed, but even with that after running the User Import the customavatars of VB does not contains the avatars.

          The thing on one of my first tests with the previous VB version 3.6.7 I was able to import the avatars, but now I don't remember if I used a trick or something.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by ElGeorge View Post
            Anyway... I was able to solve using the "Maintnance > Update Counters > Update User Names" option. Give it a try, it should work on your board also.
            Excellent! Thanx for the tip!

            Originally posted by ElGeorge View Post
            BTW... I haven't had much luck importing the user's avatars from my phpBB board. I've copied them locally on a directory that's accesible by the web server where VB is installed, but even with that after running the User Import the customavatars of VB does not contains the avatars.
            The thing that did it for me was when I realized (or, to be more precise, when Jerry explained to me) that the path it's asking for is not where the vB avatars are, but where the phpBB avatars are. I didn't think the dialog was very clear on that point. And then you have to copy the avatar images by hand into the vB avatar dir anyway, which didn't make much sense to me, but it was trivial to add to one of my conversion scripts.

            HTH!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by barefootcoder View Post
              The thing that did it for me was when I realized (or, to be more precise, when Jerry explained to me) that the path it's asking for is not where the vB avatars are, but where the phpBB avatars are. I didn't think the dialog was very clear on that point. And then you have to copy the avatar images by hand into the vB avatar dir anyway, which didn't make much sense to me, but it was trivial to add to one of my conversion scripts.

              HTH!
              Yup, when it comes to asking about data 99.99% of the time (I think 100% actually) it's asking about the source as ImpEx knows from vBulletin where the target data is going.
              I wrote ImpEx.

              Blog | Me

              Comment

              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X