Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before importing questions

Hello,
    I am importing files from an invisionfree forum to the new vB. Here is an example of what info they will give:
    http://invisionfree.com/index.php?p=example

I read through the Impex guide, and I have a question.
    1) When I get that info from them (I had to pay for the conversion), do I upload all the files to Upload/Impex/Systems/IPB2? And after I do that, I upload the entire upload forum to my webserver, correct?

Thanks

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...70&postcount=4
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Hello Jerry,
      Yes, I saw that post. I am very new to this and hope this import will be a nice learning experience for me. Here is a quick stupid question:
      "If you are importing from a database opposed to a file based system edit sourceexists = false to sourceexists = true."

I am importing a database, correct? Thanks

Comment

Yes, you need to have sourceexists set to true as your invision free data is in a database.
        Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

Hello,
          Okay. I have a couple more questions:
          First, how do I utilize this? I have no idea where I put it:
          "mysql -f -u <user> -p invision_free_database_name < your_invison_free_data.sql"

Secondly, I just got the backup from IF, how do I place this into impex? Here is the first line, there are thousands of lines:
          "INSERT IGNORE INTO ibf_posts (append_edit, edit_time, pid, author_id, author_name, use_sig, ip_address, post_date, icon_id, post, queued, topic_id, forum_id, new_topic, edit_name, attach_hits, attach_type, attach_file) VALUES ('0','0','6598553','365','joey','1','81.111.51.163','1180456802','0','<!--QuoteBegin-Mátyás Kuti(shaipo)+May 29 2007, 04:38 PM--></div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Mátyás Kuti(shaipo) @ May 29 2007, 04:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Once I solved 15 cubes at home, and the whole attempt took 50 minutes. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class=\'postcolor\'> <!--QuoteEEnd--><br> I think you could improve on that&#33; ','0','990','3','0','','','','');
          INSERT "

----------

I read through the guide for Impex and don't see anything about how to put it into Impex other than adding it to the correct system. Do I copy the file and save it as .php and paste it, or how do I do that? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by PJKCards View Post
            Hello,
            Okay. I have a couple more questions:
            First, how do I utilize this? I have no idea where I put it:
            "mysql -f -u <user> -p invision_free_database_name < your_invison_free_data.sql"
            That is a shell command to be used via SSH.

Do you have SSH or phpMyAdmin ?

Secondly, I just got the backup from IF, how do I place this into impex?
            The link I pasted above is a set of SQL commands that will create a table structure for the IF data.

The 1000's of lines of SQL that you mention is the data for your board that you can load into the database with the tables created from the SQL file I wrote above.

So step by step :

1) Create a new database to be your "source" for the data.
            2) Via SSH or phpMyAdmin run the SQL file to create the database tables.
            3) Via SSH or phpMyAdmin run the SQL file from IF to restore the database.
            4) Set up ImpEx to use the database you've just restored as the source and your vBulletin install as the target.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have phpMyAdmin I believe, but I have never used it. Do I access it via Cpanel?

1) Create a new database to be your "source" for the data.
              Okay, what are the requirements? Does the database need to have a certain name? I have a database for my vBulletin forum, do I create a completely new one with a new user?

2) Via SSH or phpMyAdmin run the SQL file to create the database tables.
              THe SQL command that you posted, or do I "run" the file with my other forum? And how do I "run" it, it is a bunch of text. Do I have to paste the text somewhere? Also, in your post you have a "code", and then an attached file. Which do I use?

3) Via SSH or phpMyAdmin run the SQL file from IF to restore the database.
              Okay, how do I "run" that text file with the 1000's of lines? It does have a .sql extension.

4) Set up ImpEx to use the database you've just restored as the source and your vBulletin install as the target.
              Okay, this is the Import>Import described in the Impex guide?

----------
              Sorry about all the questions, I am not experienced with this at all, but I am glad to learn. If you would please answer those questions by the #, that would be great. Thanks for your assistance.
              Last edited by PJKCards; Mon 9 Jul '07, 12:50pm.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have phpMyAdmin I believe, but I have never used it. Do I access it via Cpanel?
                Most likely, it depends on your hosts set up, SSH will be better for this.

Okay, what are the requirements? Does the database need to have a certain name? I have a database for my vBulletin forum, do I create a completely new one with a new user?
                That it is on the same server, name doesn't matter, use the same user/password.

THe SQL command that you posted, or do I "run" the file with my other forum? And how do I "run" it, it is a bunch of text. Do I have to paste the text somewhere?
                This is a database restore :

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...tabase_restore
                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Okay, great. I created a database. I went to phpMyAdmin (since I know I have it, not sure about SSH), then selected the database that I just created, then clicked on the SQL tab, ran the code from your post, and it successfully went through.

For the next step, you have:
                  "3) Via SSH or phpMyAdmin run the SQL file from IF to restore the database."
                  Right now I am following through the link you provided above. I will update you shortly on what happens.

Thanks
                  Last edited by PJKCards; Mon 9 Jul '07, 1:12pm.

Comment

Hello,
                    Okay, in phpMyAdmin, I should have a browse button to upload files to run, but I don't have that. Do you know where else I may find it? Thanks

Comment

Okay, what I ended up doing was going to Import and importing the file. Then this came up:
                      Error

SQL query:

INSERT IGNORE INTO ibf_emoticons( id, typed, image, clickable )
                      VALUES ( '1', ':mellow:', 'mellow.gif', '0'
                      );

MySQL said:
                      #1146 - Table 'patjk_vbsource.ibf_emoticons' doesn't exist
                      -----------------

Where do I go from here? Thanks

Comment

Where do I go from here? Thanks
                        Ideally SSH, do you know if you have it or can you check with your host ?

This is what the -f flag is for in the command line, to force the import and ignore the errors.

That error comes from the SQL file from IF having SQL that isn't used by ImpEx so I didn't create a table for that data to go into.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Hello,
                          Under the Security Area, I have SSH/Shell Access, will that work? When I click it, it says Manage SSH keys.

Anyways, not sure if that will work or not. How do I utilize the command line? Do I put that at the beginning of the import file? If I can't use that SSH, how do I go about in phpMyAdmin? Thanks

Comment

Hello,
                            Under the Security Area, I have SSH/Shell Access, will that work? When I click it, it says Manage SSH keys.
                            That is what you'll need.

I would suggest getting Putty a SSH client and connecting that way :

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Okay, I downloaded that. I have no idea what you want me to do with it, or how to use it. Can you give me a little run through with what I need to do with it? Thanks
                              Last edited by PJKCards; Mon 9 Jul '07, 3:50pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X