Impex 1.81 still not importing Avatars from PHPBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impex 1.81 still not importing Avatars from PHPBB

I reported this bug back in March and have never received any response to the problem. But Impex is still not importing Avatars from PHPBB 2.0.20 into vB.

Back in March in did a new install of VB 3.6.4 and did a test import of a PHPBB 2.020 database and Avatars were not imported. So, I filled out a bug report and after a few clarifying posts have never heard any more about it.

Yesterday, I did an upgrade of that 3.6.4 install to 3.6.7 and downloaded 1.81 Impex and ran the import process again (twice) and Impex is still NOT importing any Avatars from PHPBB 2.0.20.

I tried it twice, with Avatars set to serve from the database once and set to serve from files once. I put the full path to phpbb's avatars in the path box of Impex and my customavatar folder was set to 777.

Not only does it not move the files physically, but the customavatar table is completely empty and there are no Avatar ids in the User table either.

Fill out a support ticket at:

http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

Please include a complete description of the problem and be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP in the 'Sensitive Data' field.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have seen this reported a few times and have seen it solved each time, there are no out standing bugs for this that I'm aware off.
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        I have seen this reported a few times and have seen it solved each time, there are no out standing bugs for this that I'm aware off.
        I don't think that is necessarily true. Can you point out one response from a vB Team member with a answer to this problem?

If you search "avatars" in the Import forum you'll see many that have never been answered. The poster just went away. There are two user-made scripts posted in the Import Forum that help work around this issue, but they don't work right or well. But they do help make it easier to manually correct the problem.

I filled out a complete bug report in March. To this day, as far as I know, this is an unresolved bug. I ended up manually locating and uploading 85+ of the avatars I could find. So that I could get this import off of the ground this time. Back in March, I stopped the import until this issue was resolved and I got tired of waiting and resolved it myself -- manually. It took 4 hours to do the work that way.

Comment

Originally posted by creativepart View Post
          I don't think that is necessarily true. Can you point out one response from a vB Team member with a answer to this problem?.
          Not to you personally no as they are in support tickets.

99% of the time its due to an incorrect path or PHP not being configured to allow opening of remote files.

I filled out a complete bug report in March. To this day, as far as I know, this is an unresolved bug. I ended up manually locating and uploading 85+ of the avatars I could find. So that I could get this import off of the ground this time. Back in March, I stopped the import until this issue was resolved and I got tired of waiting and resolved it myself -- manually. It took 4 hours to do the work that way.
          I have just searched all the open bugs for ImpEx again and can't find any to do with phpBB avatars.

I am aware that there have been bugs in the past, though up till about 2/3 weeks ago I would of been the only one that would of worked on them, so if the bug report didn't come to me, I'm not too sure where it went !

I am eager for people to report the bugs in detail also, as it will make the next import that much better as we find the fix to put in ImpEx, ignoring and hoping they go away is a recipe for software and customer support disaster, I think Kier would lock me in a small room to think about what I'd done wrong if I ever took that approach
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I filed the report in March of this year. I receive one or maybe two requests for more info. Then nothing after that. No response.

Comment

I'm going though the bug tickets now to try and find it.
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Here's one that I made. It says "awaiting feedback" but you'll see I responded to the question.
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=21595

Here's another one that says it's fixed, but read the bug report. I reported two things. One was given a fix, but the Avatar issue was not really addressed. Just try a following slash. Which was tried to no avail.
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=21562

Comment

I have an idea of what the problem "might" be.

Like vB, PHPBB will allow me to upload "generic" avatars to a folder. I had done that in my phpbb install. Looking at the 100 or so users with Avatars about 15 had used one of these generic avatars.

In the phpbb database usertable, instead of xxxxxxx.gif for the contents in the "user_avatar" field phpbb puts "/generic/x-avatar.gif" for those avatars that have not been uploaded by the user but chosen from the generic avatar list.

Is it possible, that Impex fails on these and doesn't try to get ANY other avatars because of that? If that's so, then Impex should be changed to pass over those and use the xxxxxx.gif and xxxxx.jpg file names where it can and just skip over the path derived generic avatars. Or at least report the errors.

Do you think that this is possible?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X