Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting to vBulletin and reorganizing the forums - what sequence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting to vBulletin and reorganizing the forums - what sequence?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to plan the import and could use some advice.

I have an existing forum that will soon be converted to my new vbulletin board (I cannot wait!!)

However, I want to reorganize the forums at some point in the process, but definitely before going "live" with the new converted boards.

I can think of a couple process workflows:

Option A:
    1. Import everything as-is (same categories and forum names).
    2. Rename those categories and forums and adjust which categories or parent forums they belong to.
    etc...

--OR--

Option B:
    1. Setup the new structure (categories / forums) in vBulletin.
    2. Import the existing forums and "map them" to the right new destinations.

Which option is advised or easiest?

Thanks.

Option A seems to be the most logical to me.

Comment

Import first, then make any adjustments as required.
      Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

option B is impossible, because it will leave you with a double structure, the new structure in the order you want it, and then the imported structure with all te posts in it.

there are only 2 options:

- change the structure in your old board, then import
        - import, then change the structure through vB.

some bulletin boards have somewhat more simple and easy-to-use tools than vbulletin, but most access rights etc will have to be checked anyway, so best thing seems the second option. will make you familiar with the vB interface as well.

Comment

I agree, I would install vBulletin first, then install impex on top of it. Then import the old forum data and then finally set up your forum structure and usergroups and go through their permissions.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the advice. That makes sense to me. Can't wait to test it out.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X