Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection to source server failed. Check username and password

Hello

I'm changing my web host, I was on a shared server and I'm now on a vps in a different company. I tried to import the data from my test forum (3.6.5) to a clean install of vbulletin 3.6.5

But everytime I click the import link in my admincp I get this error:

Code:
    Connection to source server failed. Check username and password
    I know everything is ok in my impex config file, my previous host used "hostname.site.com" and my new host uses "localhost", could that be the reason my import is failing?

this is my first vps, and don't know much about databases, hostnames, and so on, but I'm learning, sorry if my question is silly

thanks in advance

Where is the source database located? Are you trying to remote connect to the old hosting account? Or did you restore the .sql dump into a new database on the localhost?

If the former, then you have to make sure you can remote connect to the database.

If the latter, then the host is probably localhost, just as the target, as it is on the same server.

Comment

thanks floris

How do I know if I can connect remotely to my old db? ('cause as you said it's in my hold host)

Comment

usually for security reasons they do not permit this.
        If you have cpanel you could perhaps grant permissions for hosts.
        I advise asking your hosting provider to add the ip and host from the new host to the permit list.

Comment

I found that at my host control panel, and granted permission.

Do you think that would be the best option to import the database?

or I should export it and then dump it in the new database?

thanks again floris

Comment

You should not use ImpEx to move servers.

Please see our documentation: Moving Servers
            Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
            Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

And what If I need to import from phpbb AND changing to a new server?

What would be the best way to acomplish this?

Comment

Import phpBB on the existing server, then move to the new server.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

that seems really though as it's integrated with phpnuke, and I didn't installed it :S

Could I import the phpbb forum into a test vb in my old host

and then, move the test vb to my new host?

Comment

Yes, but what about your live vB forum?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Now there's no vb live, just the phpbb is online.

I'm planning to have some downtime, until the new dns propagate, at least 1 day, so taking down the phpbb, while I import the data to a fresh install of vbulletin in my old host and then move the vb to the new host is feasible.

I just want to know if that will be ok to do? that I won't lost info in all those transfers?

I'm still waiting for a friend of mine to do the skin and my new host to update mysql, so i'm not in a hurry for suggestions

Comment

Well in that case I don't see any difference between my suggestion and what you posted, unless I'm missing something.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

lol, I swear I read "Import phpBB on the new server" I don't know why!

I can't imagine what you think when you saw exactly what you said in my post, lol

sorry

I guess I'll do that, thanks steve

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X