Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial vB 3.6 to vB 3.6 Migration

All,

Long story short, I have a split database. 5,000 threads (100,000 posts) from our database were removed. I did a restore onto a new database and restored everything, then deleted all but the 5,000 I need to move back to live.

Everything I am trying is crashing (php limits).

Would it be easier to raise the php limits on size and just let the server churn through them, or do you all have a thread-only vB to vB import that I can try?
    L'chaim

You can't do a partial import. What are the exact errors?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

They are phpmyadmin errors related to the size of the file. I ran a script to load the thread table from CVS into the format of
      INSERT INTO thread (threadid, title, lastpost, forumid, pollid, open, replycount, postusername, postuserid, lastposter, dateline, views, iconid, notes, visible, sticky, votenum, votetotal, attach, firstpostid, similar, hiddencount, deletedcount, lastpostid) VALUES ('178463', 'Christmas Day', '1102576013', '37', '0', '0', '4', 'Chaplain', '14603', 'Christine', '1102573118', '52', '4', ' Thread Closed by Christine on December 9th, 2004 at 02:06 AM.',
      Then split it in half in notepad to get under 2mb. That ran, but I have no clue what to do with the 100,000 posts I have out there that need to be brought back in. That could take weeks (literally).
      L'chaim

Comment

This may be a server time and/or memory limit. To temporarily up your limits edit your includes/config.php file and add these lines right under the <?php line:

ini_set('memory_limit', 32 * 1024 * 1024);
        ini_set("max_execution_time", "800");

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Will do Steve -- much thanks.

How large of a file will that allow me to load?
          L'chaim

Comment

File? What file? I thought you were doing an import.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yes, importing a .sql file via phpmyadmin.
              L'chaim

Comment

That's not the same as using the Impex importer which is the forum you posted in.

The only reliable method of restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because restoring with a PHP script like that in phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete database. Please see the instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore

Note: Some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:
                http://www.mysqldumper.de/en/index.php

MySQLHotxcopy:
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...t=mysqlhotcopy

Bigdump (restore only):
                http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve,

I think we are talking about 2 different things. I am asking in the Import forum because that is what I want to do. I need to import 5,000 threads from one vBulletin database into an existing vBulletin database (these threads were deleted out of the database and I need to restore them back into it, not restore/overwrite the whole thing).

I am asking if your import scripts will allow me to do that -- merge in 100,000 posts back to a database that they were originally in.

WHen you said no, that left my only option to try to load them manually via SQL insert statements.

Is it possible to IMPEX these 5.000 threads (100,000 posts) back into the database that they were deleted out of?
                  L'chaim

Comment

No, Impex does not import data from a backup to a database. You need to get that data into the database first.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Steve,

I am not understanding why you and I are seemingly on two different continents with this conversation. LOL!

It is in a database. Per my opening post, I have 2 vB 3.6 databases. One is my live database (database 1), that is missing 5,000 threads, 100,000 posts.

The other (database 2) is that SAME database but is ONLY the missing 5,000 threads, 100,000 posts from database 1 as I purged everything but the missing threads/posts after I restored it a few days ago. The reason I did this was to have a clean database with ONLY the missing thread/post data and no other.

I need to import the threads and posts (and relevant tables like editlog) from database 2 back into database 1 where they started from.

I tried it manually with sql scripts and it is crashing -- so I opened this thread to ask if the IMPEX system could help me.

I am still not clear on the original question I came here to ask: Can IMPEX bring in thread and post data from one vB 3.6 into another vB 3.6?
                      Last edited by Christine; Fri 27 Apr '07, 9:17am.
                      L'chaim

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
                        Steve,

I am not understanding why you and I are seemingly on two different continents with this conversation. LOL!

It is in a database.
                        Originally posted by Christine View Post
                        Yes, importing a .sql file via phpmyadmin.
                        Frankly I'm confused. Either you are importing an .sql backup into a database or you are using Impex to import data from an existing db into vB.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                          You can't do a partial import. What are the exact errors?
                          Steve,

It *looks* here like you are answering my question by saying that I can't do a partial import -- so we switched to talking about how I was trying to load up, the errors on which prompted me to ask about the import functionality.

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                          That's not the same as using the Impex importer which is the forum you posted in.
                          I am quite aware of that and am not looking for any assistance with running SQL scripts. I was just curious as to the file size permitted on the config.php mod you noted.

The question remains -- Can I or can I not use the IMPEX technology to restore 5,000 threads from one vB 3.6 database into another vB 3.6 database given that these 5,000 threads *used* to belong in said [original] database, they have been restored into a new database where they are on their own (all other threads have been deleted). There is no duplication of threads and no orphaned threads -- I just need to plug them back into where they used to be?

Would it be better if I just asked for IMPEX and figured it out on my own as opposed to asking if it will do what I need?
                          L'chaim

Comment

If those 5000 threads are the only threads in that database then you should be able to import them. However you would first need to import the users and forums. These are required prior to importing the threads. After that you will of course need to import the posts for those threads as well.

I just need to plug them back into where they used to be?
                            That's not possible with Impex. Importing will assign new thread and postids as well as new forums for these threads. You can then move them to other forums after importing if you want.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks Steve,

This is what I was looking for. I started my vB in 2001 from scratch and never had to use IMPEX, so wasn't sure what all it did.

I would like to take a look to see what I can do with this.

Where can I d/l this, or how do I go about requesting a copy?
                              L'chaim

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X