Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

importing more than one discus pro board and/or photopost 5.62 gallery into vb 3.65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• importing more than one discus pro board and/or photopost 5.62 gallery into vb 3.65

Hi

I am using several discus 4 pro boards and some photopost galleries. I am think of streamlining this in the future. Different scanarios are possible:

a) Is it technically possible, to import i.e. 4 different discus 4 pro boards incl. all postings etc. into a fresh vbulletin 3.65 forum?

b) Is it technically possible to import 1 discus boards into a fresh 3.65 forum and after that also photopost 5.62 gallery-users? (at the end of the day, only the vb registration system shall be used - "shared registration system")

Thanks in advance

a) Yep.

b) yes, that's possible as well.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F View Post
      a) Yep.

b) yes, that's possible as well.

ok, that is great!

How can I then make sure that that all subforums will be transfered too?

I would like to keep the structure of my old discus boards without moving everything manually...

Comment

All the forums will import although you will have to recheck the forum settings and permissions afterwards.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply.

What happens, if the same user is registerd with the same username in 2 differnt discus boards. I guess this will cause problems?

And what happens, if he has "only" the same username, but different e-mail address or "only" same e-mail address but different username in the 2 or 3 discus boards?

If this would cause problems, is there a way for me to manipulate this manually while importing (kind of an alert) or is it possible to write a costum (payed) script that checks those "problem cases" and than add automatically i.e. to the username "snoopy" snoopy1, snoopy2 etc. on the username?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Non-admin users with the same email address will be merged. Users with the same name but different email address will be imported with the 'imported_' prefix in front of their usernames.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
              Users with the same name but different email address will be imported with the 'imported_' prefix in front of their usernames.
              o.k.

Is there a functionality within VB, so that I can filter after the import those users with the 'imported_' prefix and change these manually one by one?

Non-admin users with the same email address will be merged
              What happens with the admins?

And what happens with users, who have the same username, but different email address?

Another question: Is the writing (big/small letters) important?

Comment

1. Admin CP -> Users -> Search for Users -> User Name

2. The current vB admins? Nothing.

3. Answered in post 6:

Users with the same name but different email address will be imported with the 'imported_' prefix in front of their usernames.
                4. Personlly I find all CAPS annoying. Is that what you mean?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

4. Personlly I find all CAPS annoying. Is that what you mean?
                  Yes, me too. But there are users, who subscribe i.e. in forum 1 as snoopy5 and in another one as Snoopy5 or snOOpy5.

So what happens with those during import? Are they seen as 2 different ones, are they merged into one with small letters only?

This is also splitted again in scenarios with same and not same email address

Comment

Usernames are not case-sensitive in vB. SNOOPY is the same as snoopy.

I would be surprised if usernames were case-sensitive in Discuss and frankly I do not know how Impex would deal with that. If that's the case, then I suggest changing those usernames to something unique before importing.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

small warning: the discus admins do NOT get imported.

my strategy was to add a new user as admin and to 'demote' all other admins/mods to regular users, so that they get imported (and their posts remain linked to their user accounts)
                      so if you have the same admin name on every discus source board, these will get merged nicely.

you will have to follow the specific instructions for 'multiple imports' though. its a few extra steps in which the 'importID' of the imported data is erased.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X