Totally Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally Confused

I'm sorry, but I'm totally confused at this point. I moving my forum with about 850 members and 10,000 posts from simple machines forum (SMF ) to Vbulletin. I've had Vbulletin for about 2 weeks now and still don't have a working VB site. I had some sql problems that held be back mostly but those are now resolved.

My biggest question is: do I do a normal install of VB then import or do I just import? I've been trying without doing a normal VB install first. Is this correct? cause nothing is happening like it should. Thanks for any input. I got to get this up today.
    -x

You need to install vBulletin normally first then import. If you try to import before installing, the tables won't exist and the import will fail.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Okay, Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. No wonder nothing worked. lol Okay, 1 more question. (hopefully) Do I still upload the smf sql database file into the VB database then run the importer?

Comment

You need to restore the SMF database. You should do this to a separate db from your vB. If you have to use the same database then make sure each database hase it's own unique table prefix.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

No... Your SMF database should be separate so it doesn't accidently overwrite vBulletin's tables.

How to import:
          1) Install vBulletin.
          2) Install Impex, make sure to edit ImpexConfig.php properly
          3) Close your running SMF forum.
          4) Make backup of your SMF database (we don't write to it, just a precaution).
          5) Go to either http://www.yourdomain.com/pathtovbulletin/impex or login to your admin control panel and select "Import" in the top left navigation.
          6) Choose SMF from the dropdown list.
          7) Run each module sequentially starting at #1.
          8) Finalize, cleanup, verify permissions.
          9) Delete impex folder.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

WOW! You guys are the best!

Wow, wasn't expecting such a quick, and concise answer. Thanks so much. I was on the fence on whether to move my other forum with 2300 members to Vbulletin, but you just made up my mind. Thank so much!
            Xinnek

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X