Import question (partial forum)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import question (partial forum)

I need to import a single (usergroup-restricted) subforum-group including members from another forum into my own.

What I'm thinking is, (*moving the attachments to the database and) cloning the forum of the first one, removing the other forums and members who aren't in the usergroup, then backing it up to an SQL file, moving that SQL file to the second server, recreating that forum and then merging the two local forums with IMPEX

There are a few concerns:
    • Both forums are vBulletin
    • *One forum (sub) stores attachments in the filesystem, the other (main) stores in the database, and the sub is very attachment-heavy
    • Some people are members at both forums already, including me
    And a general query that I think I already know the answer to, but...
    It would be a breach of my license to run the two forums as separate instances on the server right?

1. There is no way to do a partial import. You would need to remove all the data you do not want to import, then import the remaining data.

2. That requires two licenses.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

OK.

and how would adding the same users work out? would they be able to still log in? would merging of duplicate accounts happen instantly?

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Please explain.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

People with an account at both forums planning to be merged, myself included, after the merge.

If a new user ID is generated which account will their username and password correspond to if they try to log in?

Comment

The username and password will be the same as the account they are being merged into.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

There are two basic approches to partial imports :

1) Prune the source before the import so you only import the data you want.

2) Prune the imported data in target forum after the import to leave what you want.
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X