Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After import characters are wrong

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • After import characters are wrong

    Hi
    This is my 5th import and its the first time Im having this issue.
    All the carecters are wrong, let me explain:
    The words:
    Coração
    opiniões
    and so on show up after the import like:
    Coração
    Opiniões
    What is wrong here?
    Like I said I already did 4 previous imports for other clients on the same server and this is the first time it happens.

  • #2
    Double check the character sets of the source and target database. Ensure they are both utf-8 .
    I wrote ImpEx.

    Blog | Me

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jerry View Post
      Double check the character sets of the source and target database. Ensure they are both utf-8 .
      At phpMyAdmin, I can see that both source and target ate UTF-8 Unicode (utf8). This should work properly, right?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by endeavour_pt View Post
        At phpMyAdmin, I can see that both source and target ate UTF-8 Unicode (utf8). This should work properly, right?
        Yes.

        What system, could be the html_2_bb() parsing.
        I wrote ImpEx.

        Blog | Me

        Comment


        • #5
          What do you mean by "what system"?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by endeavour_pt View Post
            What do you mean by "what system"?
            What is the source system you are importing from ?
            I wrote ImpEx.

            Blog | Me

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jerry View Post
              What is the source system you are importing from ?
              Both source and target are Linux Servers. Both are running mySQL version 4.1.21-standard.

              Comment


              • #8
                im having this same problem after my first import ever.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think Jerry means what board are you migrating from.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i did a test one with my phpbb board

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      same problem

                      from phpbb TO vbulletin
                      2 different mysql BUT in the same server (=configuration)
                      Mysql ver. 4.0.21
                      SQL query "SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'char%'" return
                      character_setlatin1character_setslatin1 big5 czech euc_kr gb2312 gbk latin1_de sjis tis620 ujis dec8 dos german1 hp8 koi8_ru latin2 swe7 usa7 cp1251 danish hebrew win1251 estonia hungarian koi8_ukr win1251ukr greek win1250 croat cp1257 latin5

                      ???
                      Tx

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm having Charset problems too. SQL defaults to latin1_swedish_ci. Yet the impex routine seems to rely on utf8. So when importing any European members with special characters import with odd characters.

                        I tried running impex without any specified charset and it wouldn't run. I ran a test import with utf8 and it messed up those usernames.

                        I'm guessing I should change the charset to latin1_swedish_ci in Impex?? I don't really want that char set but SQL seems to default to that setting since it was developed in Sweden.

                        When I look at my PHPBB database files I see that charset too.

                        Is there a SQL query that can be run on the entire database to alter the colation to utf8 on every table all at once?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have the same problem. I have try to use ImpEx 1.78 to import data from VB 3.6.4 to VB 3.6.4. I also got the swedish characters (åÅäÄöÖ) destroyed.

                          Jerry, I hope for your help here

                          Regards,
                          Niclas

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by f-body View Post
                            I have the same problem. I have try to use ImpEx 1.78 to import data from VB 3.6.4 to VB 3.6.4. I also got the swedish characters (åÅäÄöÖ) destroyed.

                            Jerry, I hope for your help here

                            Regards,
                            Niclas
                            I had the same problem with my Norwegian board. My SQL-database was stored in standard latin1 and not utf8. I had to set the last setting of ImpExConfig.php to false, like this:

                            define('use_utf8_encode', false);

                            and the lines with charset-settings to nothing like this:

                            $impexconfig['target']['charset'] = '';

                            Then everything worked fine with users and posts! Very good conversion script by the way. I'm impressed!

                            Comment

                            widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X