Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem importing data with impex..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Problem importing data with impex..

    Hi!I would like to ask a question..
    I had vbulletin version 3.6.0 and decided to change it to 3.6.4.I deleted all my files from my server(in the public_html/) and installed a new vbulletin version 3.6.4.I also installed impex.Now I am trying to import my olds forum's data(users,threads,posts etc..) in the new one but all I have is a sql file which is the backup of my previous version and a full backup from my home directory..I do not know how to do that..and I do not want to lose all the data...

    thank you in advance!!

  • #2
    You do not need to use the importer. vBulletin has an upgrade script for upgrading from one version to another.

    Make sure that your config.php is configured correctly to point to your existing forums database, then point your browser to yourforums/install/upgrade.php You will be prompted for your customer number, then just click through the screens until it completes.
    Kerry-Anne :)

    Twitter Blog

    www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
      You do not need to use the importer. vBulletin has an upgrade script for upgrading from one version to another.

      Make sure that your config.php is configured correctly to point to your existing forums database, then point your browser to yourforums/install/upgrade.php You will be prompted for your customer number, then just click through the screens until it completes.

      Thank you for your reply!!
      But my question was how to get all these users and threads and posts...from the old forum to the new one.All I have is a full backup of the old one and a sql backup of the old one.How can I import these data to the new one?

      Comment


      • #4
        Why did you make a new install? If you want your old forum data, it would have been best to just restore the database and edit the config file to use that database.

        Did you just do a fresh install?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Zachery View Post
          Why did you make a new install? If you want your old forum data, it would have been best to just restore the database and edit the config file to use that database.

          Did you just do a fresh install?

          Yes I deleted everything from my server and did a fresh install of vbulletin 3.6.4.

          Comment


          • #6
            Why didn't you just restore the database?

            Comment


            • #7
              Why would I do that?I told you I wanted to upgrade from 3.6.0 to 3.6.4.And I thought it would be better maybe if I installed 3.6.4 from the beggining and then import tha data from the old version..but now I am stuck!

              Comment


              • #8
                Why would you do that? Because its the proper and easiest way to upgrade.

                Restore the database, upload the 3.6.4 files and run the upgrade file.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                  Why would you do that? Because its the proper and easiest way to upgrade.

                  Restore the database, upload the 3.6.4 files and run the upgrade file.
                  Forgive me for asking again.., you mean I should restore the database using the backup-sql file I have,from phpmyadmin and then upload and install 3.6.4 again and run the upgrade.php and it will import all the users and threads into it?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    No install, just restore the database, edit the config.php file, and run install/upgrade.php

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I installed 3.6.4 and then restored the database but when I visited my forum I could not log in..I got only a message that the forum is closed..like it wouldn't recognize me as administrator..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You're going to need to restore your backup to a clean database and change the config.php file to match the new database info.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Database info?
                          username, password,type etc?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              thank you very much for your help!!

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X