Importing 400,000 posts - taking forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing 400,000 posts - taking forever

What is the recommended batch size for importing 400,000 posts? I've tried doing 25,000 at a time and it is just too sluggish and I'd rather not have to sit here and click "next" a million times.

A good feature would be to automatically refresh to the next page, and a way to turn off the data dump to your browser window.
    Last edited by Verbose; Mon 22 Jan '07, 1:14pm.

also... I purposely closed my browser to try to killl the posts import module because it said there was some mysql error where it couldn't reach the server for a minute. So i closed my browser window to redo the import - well, when i logged back in the import was still actively running.

Is there a kill switch somewhere or do you just have to let it run it's course for 30+ minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by Verbose View Post
      What is the recommended batch size for importing 400,000 posts? I've tried doing 25,000 at a time and it is just too sluggish and I'd rather not have to sit here and click "next" a million times.

A good feature would be to automatically refresh to the next page, and a way to turn off the data dump to your browser window.
      In ImpEx config :

PHP Code:
      define('shortoutput'true);  // Depending on your source system, only some Tier 1 supported at the moment.
      define('step_through'false); 
      As for speed, that depends mainly on the PHP memory limit and the power of the database, 25,000 seems fine, I would expect that to import in about 15 mins depending on the over all power of the server.
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        In ImpEx config :

PHP Code:
        define('shortoutput'true);  // Depending on your source system, only some Tier 1 supported at the moment.
        define('step_through'false); 
        As for speed, that depends mainly on the PHP memory limit and the power of the database, 25,000 seems fine, I would expect that to import in about 15 mins depending on the over all power of the server.
        Hi Jerry, thanks for your response

I set the batch import size to 10,000 posts at a time - this took roughly 3 hours to import 400,000 posts. We've spoken to tech support and have our serving settings pretty high with fairly powerful hardware, so I'm not sure what else to try.

I am doing the live import today, and will try it with the output turned off. FYI, our source board is UBB.threads 6.5.2 - I think that is Tier 1, so hopefully this feature is supported?

Comment

I've just updated the 007.php file in the ubb_threads system so it has the short output, if you download and over write that file it will have it now.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X