Issues after home-grown import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues after home-grown import

I have finished an import from a simulated phpBB forum that I created myself. (You can read the gory details here.)

Versions:
    ImpEx build version : 1.75
    Source Board Format : phpBB2 2.0.21
    Target Board Format: vBulletin 3.6.4

I have three resulting problems/issues and would appreciate advice on dealing with them.

I don't need to know exactly how I got myself into this state (no doubt my fault in creating the source tables), but I'd like to know the easiest way to fix each problem. My first choice would be a way to fix things in admincp. My second choice would be to use SQL commands.

Issue #1. Number of views wrong after import

My imported threads came out OK, but in the forum display each imported thread shows as having a Number of Views equal to the number of posts in that thread, rather than 0. For example, an imported thread with 1000 posts shows as Replies=999 and Views=1000.

I followed the After the Import steps after my import, and in particular I used the Update Counters page to Update Post Counts, Rebuild Forum Information, Rebuild Thread Information, and Rebuild Post Cache. I even tried Rebuild Statistics, but the Views are still equal to the number of thread posts.

Issue #2. Wacky user title

My site is at somethingforums.org. My administrative user (user #1) is named "Somethingforums". Using admincp, I had set him to
    User Title: Somethingforums.org
    Custom User Title: Yes, Admin Set
    and his title came out as Somethingforums.org as intended.

One of my imported users was the same admin, with posts in the imported data, so I used Merge Users to merge the imported admin user into user "Somethingforums". (My includes/config.php file protected user #1 from changes, but I turned that off so I could do this.)

The posts merged correctly, and the other admin user correctly disappeared, but the user title of user "Somethingforums" changed to
    Something*****s.org
    as if the word "forum" was censored! I can type the word "forum" in a post without it changing to asterisks, but in a User Title it changes from Somethingforums.org to Something*****s.org.

I tried
    Title: Somethingforums.org
    Custom User Title: Yes, User Set
    and got the same thing. I tried removing the user title (Custom User Title: No), saving, and then adding it back again, but the asterisks reappeared.

I could do more experimenting with usergroup settings, but I can't imagine what's going on. The word "forum" is not on my list of censored words, and I did not import any word lists.

Issue #3. Imported users need profile change

Some of my imported users were previously registered members, and they were properly merged. I have the remaining members, who were imported but are not registered members, in their own usergroup. All of them came out with settings:
    Receive Email from Other Members: Yes
    Enable Private Messaging: Yes
    I would like to change all of them to
    Receive Email from Other Members: No
    Enable Private Messaging: No
    so that registered members won't mistakenly try to PM or email someone who is not (or not yet) a forum member. I'd rather not have to do hundreds of profile edits by hand, so a "batch" way to do it is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tomorrow; Wed 3rd Jan '07, 7:53pm.

1. This is intentional. Because it's technically impossible to have less views than replys, the number of views is always set to replys + 1 if the number of views in the database is lower than the number of replys.

2. Go to your
    AdminCP -> vBulletin Options -> User Profile Options -> Censored Words for Usertitle
    and adjust that list.

3. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213135
    See that thread for queries to update users, and simply adjust the where clause to include AND usergroupid = X.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Followup:

Issue #1. Now I understand the reasoning for the import module to make that setting. Which leads to more questions:
      1. If a current forum member now views an imported thread that has 1000 posts (so it shows as having 999 replies and 1000 views), will it change to 1001 views? Or will it change to 1001 only after 1001 current forums view it?

2. It would be more interesting to count the number of views in this forum, starting from now on. Is it safe to reset #views to 0 and let them count up from there?

3. If so, how can I do that?

Issue #2. You were right, of course. It had the list "admin forum moderator vbulletin leader". I guess those make sense if users are allowed to set their own titles, so they can't pose as a privileged forum user.

I removed the list and now I can set the title I wanted in admincp.

That doesn't explain why it used to work. My best guess is that it happened when I upgraded to vBulletin 3.6 (which I did just before my ImpEx import). Is "Censored Words for Usertitle" a new admincp option and those are the default values?

Issue #3. Thanks. I will give that a try.

Comment

1. This is something vBulletin does, not ImpEx. The viewcount in the DB is actually way below 1000 in your example, but will show 1000 until it actually reaches 1000 again.

b) As this is done by vBulletin, that's not possible.

2. Possibly that value was imported, and thus disregarded the censor?
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X