How to import discrete .sql file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to import discrete .sql file?

Not sure how to migrate an old IkonBoard installation from a different ISP to my new host, and into VB. There doesn't seem to be any provision to import the .sql file into VB using ImpEx, and I can't find a way to import the file into an empty MySql database using PHPMyAdmin. Can anyone help?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

You first need to restore that backup to a new database, then you can use Impex to import that data into vB.

The only reliable method of restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because restoring with a PHP script like that in phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete backup file. Please see the instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore

Note: Some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:
    http://www.mysqldumper.de/en/index.php

MySQLHotxcopy:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...t=mysqlhotcopy
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Unfortunately my host does not permit Telnet/SSH, and the backup file dump from my Ikonboard is ~25MB. Neither can I install Ikonboard and do the migration that way, because the host does not support CGI. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, in fact I offered alternatives in my original reply. Check it again.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve, thanks. As a layman, I was a bit nervous about additional utilities, but for the moment, mysqldumper seems to have imported all the tables to a temporary (empty) ikonboard database just fine. Running ImpEx now, will report the results soon.

Hey, is there any downside to not having a _ after the prefix in our database? IOW, is there a problem to having 'vbtable' versus 'vb_table'? It's not too late for me to redo it. I just was curious.

Just by way of a suggestion, for dummies like me, it'd be great if ImpEx could manage the import of a .tar or .sql file directly.

Stay tuned, and Merry Christmas! Thanks for all your help!!!

Comment

No downside to that at all.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X