SMF import, do Password get imported?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMF import, do Password get imported?

I've recently purchased another community which is running SMF as their forum software, and was wondering if Impex will import the passwords of the members? The site has over 1,300 members and it would be easier to have the passwords imported versus having to ask each of them to reset their passwords. Especially seeing as some of them are fairly recent signups.

Originally posted by AnomaliesNetwork View Post
    I've recently purchased another community which is running SMF as their forum software, and was wondering if Impex will import the passwords of the members? The site has over 1,300 members and it would be easier to have the passwords imported versus having to ask each of them to reset their passwords. Especially seeing as some of them are fairly recent signups.
    The actual number of the users doesn't make any difference to the amount of work one user has to do to reset their password, i.e. click two links and enter their email address.

Depends on the version of SMF, the importer expects the password to be an unsalted MD5 string, if that is the case then it will import them.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

the version is 1.1 RC3

Comment

Originally posted by AnomaliesNetwork View Post
        the version is 1.1 RC3
        Then I believe they should, you can always just test and import with a user who has a known password.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
          Then I believe they should, you can always just test and import with a user who has a known password.
          Hm, I just did an SMF 1.1RC3 import and it did NOT import the passwords. And I tried it a second time just to make sure I did it right - Same results. No password import.

Of course, I may have done it wrong both times ...

Comment

Originally posted by woodp View Post
            Hm, I just did an SMF 1.1RC3 import and it did NOT import the passwords. And I tried it a second time just to make sure I did it right - Same results. No password import.

Of course, I may have done it wrong both times ...
            Then they must be a salted MD5 string, so they can't be imported.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_passwords
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I am having this same problem with importing an SMF forum. How can I tell if a password is salted or unsalted?

Also, is there a way to manually transfer the passwords? Can I copy copy and past from one db to the other?

Or are there any php changes I can make to allow the transfer.

Unfortunately asking my members to change thier passwords is out of the option.

Comment

As Jerry said the SMF passwords cannot be imported. Sorry.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Our SMF board is part of a Joomla CMS and we have a pw on that user table as well. Does anyone know if we could pull the info from there? does Joomla store the info as an salted MD5 string?
                  Last edited by waltercat; Mon 16 Apr '07, 3:08pm.

Comment

Okay, I've been doing a little research on this.

vb uses MD5 with a salt
                    smf uses Sha-1 with a salt

Theoretically, f I transfer my encrypted passwords and salts from smf to vb and then change the vb function to SHA-1, then it will work, right?

I wouldn't do any of this via the importer.
                    Last edited by waltercat; Mon 16 Apr '07, 3:45pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X