Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing a DB from a file?

Hi,
    My question here is, can I import the DB from a file lets say phpbb_backup that is saved on my hard drive? because the manual seems to be pointing at on a DB that is on a phpbb board already on the forum?

Indeed, like this :

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ervers_restore
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

But... I would like to use Impex to convert my phpbb database that is stored on a backup file without having to install phpbb on the new server and restoring the DB on the php board.

Problem is right now I tried importing the DB with phpbb to make it complete so that afterwards I ask Impex to connect to it and import the data, but each time I import the DB from the file, it doesnt change the content of the new DB.

My question was that, if i have a phpbb DB uploaded on the server somewhere, can I use Impex to import the information from it.

Comment

You cannot import from a backup file. You need to restore the database first.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotorfrank View Post
          My question was that, if i have a phpbb DB uploaded on the server somewhere, can I use Impex to import the information from it.
          As Steve said, that isn't a database its a file with a list of SQL commands that can restore the database.

You don't need a full phpBB install, just the database restored so ImpEx can read from it.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Can it be imported into a fresh DB in phpmyadmin?
            Cuz phpbb (which is really the suck compared to vbulletin) does not restore databases above 2mb. So i tried this script called Bigdump.php, and its not working as it is asking me to drop tables to process.

Now how should I import it from that backup file?

Because at the point I am at right now, I tried importing it thru phpmyadmin, and it says everything is alright, but does not import the content. And like I said, at the point I am now, I'm gonna offer to pay someone to do it for me, unless you tell me how I can import the DB without installing phpbb.

Comment

Ok well right now I got access to my old host, and I got my board up and everything. Now I configured the ImpexConfig.php with all of the the right information. I uploaded the Impex folder to admincp folder and the.xml file to includes/xml.

The option is showing in the Admin Panel, but when I press on Import>Import, I get this "The webpage cannot be found" error. Whats wrong with my install? Does it have anything to do with an error in ImpexConfig.php or an incomplete file package?

Comment

This means that the files were not uploaded correctly. Reupload the Impex files to an 'impex' subdirectory of your main forum directory.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

In the main one or in adminCP folder?

Cuz I was wondering if the files were not corrupt has I have 2 index.htm with 0kb in impex/systems and another in tools.

Comment

Ah ok I found my problem, I miss-read the manual, I thought i had to put it in the admin cp. Anyways I fixed it.

But I have another concern right now, I imported everything in it. The modules worked out perfectly, BUT, Everything is imported, but nothing new on the forum itself... What did I do wrong? is there a step I forgot?

Comment

Everything is in the DB I just noticed on phpmyadmin. Why isnt it showing on the board itself?

Comment

You know what, forget all I said, you guys documented this well enough all my answers are good now heheheh... Sorry for looking stupid.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X