Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing Multiple 3rd Party Forums.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Multiple 3rd Party Forums.....

I have successfully imported PHPbb into a new installation of vBulletin.

An earlier version of the client's discussion forum was maintained for several years by FuseTalk, version 1.42 prior to switching to PHPbb a little over a year ago. That installation of PHPbb did not include migrating the older FuseTalk database.

I have several questions, now that I note an import option with Impex for FuseTalk, version 2.0.

The original FuseTalk version (Access database) stands idle, but still on the server, and is version 1.42. If need be, I could update it with another version of FuseTalk I have which is version 3.1 (assuming their upgrade process is workable).

That would give me two options, or database formats, of FuseTalk as potential import options to bring into the client's new vBulletin program. That brings up some new, and interesting, questions.

1. Are either of the two versions of FuseTalk capable of being imported into vBulletin?
    2. If so, can that import be done (included with) the client version of vBulletin into which I just imported PHPbb, version 2.021?

This would amount to a client forum with a total of seven years of discussions, a major attraction for them and invaluable for their viewers.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

The fusetalk importer is currently at 2.0 so you would have to upgrade it to that or 3.

If you upgrade them to version 3 then I could update the importer to match that version as ImpEx tries to keep all the system to the latest version of the source system with as much backwards compatibility as possible.

I think you are asking of Merge imports can be done, the answer is yes.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...35&postcount=2
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Follow Up Questions to original post.....

Thank you for the response to my question about FuseTalk, version 3.

I have some additional questions and will start with the first phase already completed which was importing PHPbb into vBulletin. All Went well except that I note all users are currently banned. Not a problem to un-ban them but, did I do something incorrectly in the process or, does your importer (by default) handle all user names that way?

Since the PHPbb import was more than a test than reality, and since vBulletin is still undergoing some final development, I may wish to update the data that came over from PHPbb since there have been a few posts since the original import.

How do I go about that? Import over what is already imported from the first time? Start fresh? I could use some suggestions here.

For FuseTalk, since the existing version is 1.4 something, I need to run my later version (3.1) to upgrade the database and then, as I understand it from your earlier response, the Impex software can be modified to handle an import from version 3.1 inasmuch as Impex currently handles FuseTalk version 2. What is the procedure, or steps, I should take if and when I decide to pursue that option?

I am also unclear about remarks from the link you referenced and I quote the sentence in question....

"When you have done an import and are completely finished and wish to do another import you will have to set all these id's to 0".

I am not quite sure what exact steps I take in your program to do that. Also, per above remarks about re-importing from PHPbb (a second time) to catch the latest posts since the original import to vBulletin, is the above reference to resetting id's a consideration in that instance also?

Finally, if you are U.S. based, is it possible to contact you by phone rather than writing about topics with I am somewhat vague in my level of understanding? If so, you could send a phone contact via e-mail to [email protected] rather than posting the information here.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Trent Roberson

Comment

I have some additional questions and will start with the first phase already completed which was importing PHPbb into vBulletin. All Went well except that I note all users are currently banned. Not a problem to un-ban them but, did I do something incorrectly in the process or, does your importer (by default) handle all user names that way?
        This is a matter of sorting out the usergoups.

How do I go about that? Import over what is already imported from the first time? Start fresh? I could use some suggestions here.
        In a test environment, start fresh, take a back up of the vBulletin database just before the import, then you can restore to that point.

What is the procedure, or steps, I should take if and when I decide to pursue that option?
        Upgrade a database to 3.1, then you'll have to give me a copy, then I can restore it here and work though the importer and update it so its current with that version, then I will release a new version of ImpEx with the updated importer.

I am also unclear about remarks from the link you referenced and I quote the sentence in question....

"When you have done an import and are completely finished and wish to do another import you will have to set all these id's to 0".
        It means when you've finished one import you have to remove the importid's using the help page so ImpEx can do another import and tell the data apart.

Also, per above remarks about re-importing from PHPbb (a second time) to catch the latest posts since the original import to vBulletin, is the above reference to resetting id's a consideration in that instance also?
        You have to redo the full import you can't perform a differential import currently.

Finally, if you are U.S. based, is it possible to contact you by phone rather than writing about topics with I am somewhat vague in my level of understanding? If so, you could send a phone contact via e-mail to [email protected] rather than posting the information here.
        There is a support system in the members area for contacting staff officially.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Sorting out Imported Usernames....

I noted in a previous post in this thread that all of the imported names now show up on the banned list. In questioning the process to gain some clarification, your response suggested that this would be controlled through the Admin section, Usergroups.

In reviewing the Usergroups, there are two large groups of names from the imported database from the previous PHPbb program. They are:

1. Active Imported Users (This list appears clean and I do not see any names that should be on the ban list)

2. Inactive Imported Users (This list would appear to contain some names that are questionable. However, many of the names are valid).

vBulletin is much more complex in how it treats permissions of registered names than the former PHPbb and earlier versions of FuseTalk I've had experience with. I am not at all clear what I 'trigger' in the Usergroups to put all of the names on a common status as regular members to the entire forum program.

Also, believe it or not, I cannot locate the option for actually deleting a member. I can see where to ban a user but have yet to find a way to physically delete their name from the system.

I do see the classification of 'Registered Users' and the names added when the forum was set up appear here. However, all of the other classifications of Default Usergroups are very confusing. What area of the program is used to establish which users might fit into each of these various classifications? The COPPA item I understand. But other designations, such as appointing additional users with Administrator status, where does all this happen?

Sorry to be so inquisitive about what are standard practices in your software. But, since this program is advanced over what I have administered in the past, I need to go step-by-step in order to protect the correct assignments of all users, especially those just imported.

I would appreciate some further clarification to this whole process.

Thank you very much for the help.

Trent Roberson

Comment

Yes, you have to configure the imported usergroups or delete them and the users will be move to the registered group.

I would suggest deleting the ImpEx created "Active Imported Users" usergroup and all the users will be moved to the Registered group, and will be treated the same as if they had registered through vBulletin normally.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

OK to delete IMPEX?

Now that the import process has been completed successfully, I assume, but thought I had better ask, that it is OK to delete the Impex files from the server.

Please Advise.

Thank you.

Trent Roberson

Comment

Yes.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X