Are out-of-order posts a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are out-of-order posts a problem?

I am converting an email archive into a form I can load into Member, Thread, and Post tables in my own mySql database and then import into vBulletin.

I've noticed in the email archive that messages didn't arrive in strictly chronological order, so in my Post table the dates/times will not always be in increasing order as the post number increases.

Is this of any concern? Will it cause any problem in importing or in the resulting vBulletin database?

Thank you for any guidance you can give me about this.

Post are always ordered in a thread based on their posttime, so it would mess up the order of the posts.
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

I think that means I'll need to check the email archive for suspicious jumps in date/time.

With a forum system, post times are based on the server's clock so that keeps them in proper order. But with email the message times are based on the sender's local clock, which may be set incorrectly, even off by months or years. And even those with the correct time may have their time zone set wrong.

It looks like I'll have to find and fix those, to put them in sequence between their preceding and following messages, before I load the vBulletin database. That won't be an easy task, but I can't think of an alternative that would produce the correct ordering in forum displays.

Comment

I am not 100% sure now, but if you know their correct order, you could set the parentid of a post, and it should show correct in threaded view mode.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

I hadn't considered that. Thanks.

However, since almost everyone sticks to Linear mode, I still need to analyze the email timestamps and change the worst offenders. I've already found messages from people who had the wrong year set on their computer, which would cause those messages to come out in a completely incorrect position in the thread when sorted by timestamp.

I doubt I would want to tinker with the code to sort by post number rather than timestamp, so in the long run this manual labor will produce the best result.

Comment

With the yahoo groups import, I order them using the parent id so they thread properly and ignore the time as after lots of trial and error I could rely on it.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X