Multiple forum import from UBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Steve,

Yes I have done this several times before. The problem is that this time the users have not been separated at all, hence I cannot tell if a user was coppa, banned, queued, or a regular member. I am sure this worked before, correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Yes I have done this several times before. The problem is that this time the users have not been separated at all, hence I cannot tell if a user was coppa, banned, queued, or a regular member. Unfortunately post count does not help with this so I am a little stuck, with 750k posts I really do not want to do manual edits.

From the guide: "Most importers will import the usergroups, this is so you can check the users being imported and manage them accordingly"

I am sure this worked before, but now appears to import all users into a single group, correct me if I am wrong.
      Last edited by webspinner; Wed 27 Sep '06, 1:02pm.

Comment

If the usergroups are present and available in the 2nd source board's data then ImpEx will try and create the groups, yes.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Hi Jerry

As you probably already know UBB Classic has no concept of usergroups, yet this did appear to work in previous versions. I assume using access permissions.

The behaviour of the current version is different,

Comment

ImpEx creates these groups :

Imported Banned Users
            Imported Admin Users
            Imported Registered Users
            Imported COPPA Users
            Imported Unknown Users

Then depending on what the users is, it chooses one of them.

Nothing has changed in the code for usergroups in ubb.classic for over 2 years now, I've just checked the CVS.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Hi Jerry,

Looks like I will have to start the import again from scratch, the import has always worked as you described before, but not this time. I did a straight import into an empty user table (except for the admin) and all the users were put into a single usergroup. I have spent 3 days on the import so not so happy about reimporting, I will try it again and let you know if the usergroups work this time.

Comment

As I have said, the usergroup/user code hasn't changed so I can't say why its acting differently, only if the source data is from a different version of ubb.classic.
                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Nope the version of UBB is the same as the one I used before, and the data largely the same.

I noticed that the database clean on the new version does not appear to work for me, I used your MySQL workarounds, could that have affected things?

Comment

Hi Jerry, Steve.

I am running out of time to get the import completed, so I am going to attempt a short cut. I am importing the users again now, and this time it seems to be working as expected (no idea what happened last time). Once I have the table of users split into usergroups on the import I am going to use that to adjust the existing usergroup entries in my fully imported database.

Naturally I am taking a full backup first. Do you think this is a sane plan?

Comment

Originally posted by webspinner View Post
                      Once I have the table of users split into usergroups on the import I am going to use that to adjust the existing usergroup entries in my fully imported database.
                      I'm not 100% sure what you mean, could you explain it again thanks.
                      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Hi Jerry,

Sorry if I wasn;t clear, I am re-importing the users from the old UBB forums int o a new database. Then rename the user table and copy it across to my existing vbull import, I then used joins to identify the members of each group. The big advantage is not having to do the complete re-import, I am dealing with a large ubb system so it is very slow.

The good news is that as far as I can tell the plan worked and I now have corrected the usergroups on my import. So full steam ahead for cutover to vb at the weekend

Cheers

webspinner

Comment