No announcement yet.

Migrating people and the archive of their e-mail to vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I imported WWWBoard posts to vBulletin by using several importers; WWWBoard -> WebBBS -> phpBB -> vBulletin. Even if vBulletin can't directly import from the Unix mail format, there might be a free/open source message board that can. You can then go from Unix mail -> (some other system) -> vBulletin. Of course, you'll have to install that other message board system and the import scripts.
    Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

The yahoogroups_text importer works from a mail format, though the exact version and type I'm not sure.
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

If I had found good documentation for a text-file-based BBS that ImpEx could import from, that would have worked too (I would put my email data in files of that format rather than load it into a home-made database).

But, of course, ImpEx wasn't designed to educate us about other systems, just to know their formats and read from them. For me, researching other BBS storage formats, without knowing which were most worth looking into, turned into too much work. So I picked one I could easily get my hands on (phpBB) and studied that particular one.

I still have some more email to convert and load, but I now have a method to do that.

I didn't look into the yahoogroups_text importer, and in hindsight perhaps I should have.

Here is how I dealt with the issue of user names:
        • I put vertical bar characters around user names imported from the email archive, e.g., |John Smith|. I chose vertical bars because they don't interfere with reading the name and because they sort alphabetically after letter Z. That way, they show up last in the member list, after the members who joined for real.
        • I added a suffix to their email addresses, e.g., [email protected] became [email protected].
        • Because of these settings, when the real John Smith joins the forums, there won't already be a member with his name or email address.
        • As I see new members join, I check their email address against the imported list. If I find a match (ignoring the suffix), I merge in the previously loaded member. For example, if John Smith joins, I merge user |John Smith| with member John Smith, member |John Smith| disappears, and the real John Smith now owns his posts that were loaded from the email archive.

Comment

I know I currently have little use for ImpEx, but is there some kind of script that will automatically set randomized passwords for people on imports that couldn't retreive the hashes and email it to the users?
          -- David.

If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
          This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran Ancient View Post
            I know I currently have little use for ImpEx, but is there some kind of script that will automatically set randomized passwords for people on imports that couldn't retreive the hashes and email it to the users?
            ImpEx can set random ones, and does for systems where they can't be imported then this :

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_passwords
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X