phpBB 2.0.19 with Able2Know SEO and eCardMAX HotEditor to vBulletin 3.5.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phpBB 2.0.19 with Able2Know SEO and eCardMAX HotEditor to vBulletin 3.5.4

I've been using phpBB2 for years, but I've decided to bite the bullet and migrate to vBulletin.

There are three (3) major concerns I have:

1) I have Able2Know.com's SEO mod installed, so all my URLs are in the form of /article###.html
    More info: http://www.able2know.com/forums/about15132.html

2) I use the HotEditor rich text editor from eCardMAX.com, so some of my posts have HTML code in them, while others don't
    More info: http://www.ecardmax.com/index.php?step=Hoteditor2phpbb

3) My template is customized with some PHP in it, RSS feeds, rotating ads, etc. Shouldn't be a problem

So I seek help from you for concerns #1 and #2. The SEO mod uses .htaccess and a few PHP edits to several phpBB files. Is there a vBulletin equivalent? How would I transition my old URLs to avoid breaking anything, including SE rankings and inbound links?

For #2, I am running ImpEx now and will let you know how that goes once it completes.

I also have a "money and store" mod installed, but that's not a concern -- I'm planning to just get rid of it, as it's quite complex and not really needed now that the forum is active and well-established.

Do you have any suggestions? Is there anything I'm missing?

Thank you!

For #1 and 2, you'll need to ask over at the vB mod site: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

For #2, I don't really care if vB has a WYSIWYG editor. It has mostly caused problems. I just want to make sure stylized posts are imported in a reasonable manner (not with tons of nonsense symbols all over them). For example, I'm looking at an imported post at the moment that looks like:
      #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hello there,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We need help in promoting our company site in Google.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We would like to hire a proffesional working on FreeLancer bases
      I'm going to try cleaner.php.
      Last edited by gengar56; Sat 8th Jul '06, 11:04pm. Reason: unstretched layout; shortened quote

Comment

Unfortunately I am not sure how to fix this. vB only imports the standard phpBB data and does not account for any modifications or add-ons.

You can try using the cleaner.php script to fix this, but I don't know if it will be sufficient to the task:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/impex_cleaner

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I tried cleaner.php with these settings:
          Code:
          			"#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"	=> "",
          			"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"	=> "\n",
          It went through all the posts, but looking at the actual posts now, it looks like it had absolutely no effect at all. The example post I showed above looks exactly, character-for-character, the same as before. Any suggestions?

Comment

No sorry. I don't know what else to suggest. I wasn't sure it would work for that anyway.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait until Jerry (the Dev who wrote the Impex system) to respond. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

If I just wait a bit, will he come by? or is there something else I should do?

By the way, that example post should end up looking like:
              Hello there,
              We need help in promoting our company site in Google.
              We would like to hire a proffesional working on FreeLancer bases
              If there is an appropriate $replacer array I should use with cleaner.php, please let me know what it is. Don't worry, this is a development install and the source forum is still running as normal (so we can experiment and see what works). Any help appreciated.

Comment

I'm afraid Jerry usually does not work weekends so your wait will probably be more than a little while. Not everyone works 7 days a week.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                  Not everyone works 7 days a week.
                  Not ? Pfff
                  I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am!

Comment

Originally posted by gengar56 View Post
                    If I just wait a bit, will he come by? or is there something else I should do?

By the way, that example post should end up looking like:

If there is an appropriate $replacer array I should use with cleaner.php, please let me know what it is. Don't worry, this is a development install and the source forum is still running as normal (so we can experiment and see what works). Any help appreciated.

If you start a support ticket and ask for me I will see how to set up cleaner.php.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

As a guy that just switched from PHPBB (after 3 years) to vB I can tell you it is worth the hassle.

Cleaner.php works pretty well to fix most normal things.

One "gotcha" that you won't find out about until after the import is that banned usernames don't get imported correctly -- they end up as regular registered members. Asterisks in banned IP addresses end up as "255" and PMs in the "Saved" box are totally ignored and lost. So, tell folks if they have any saved PMs that they should move them to their Inbox before you close down for the Import.

Also, but you probably already have learned this, set up your new vB forum COMPLETELY before you do the import. Pre-configure the options for new members so that it will apply to your imported members.

I switched a BIG site month ago and I'm very glad I did. I'm converting a second phpbb site this week too. Soon, I'll have all my PHPBB sites converted to vB. No more having to remod the forum manually after every update 6 times a year. No more having to add a dozen mods just to make the forum competitive with other forums (vB) out there.

Good Luck

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X