Merging two databases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging two databases

I have 2 separate vbulletin forums but want to merge them into one. I only want the basic user info (name, email, posts etc) from the one I will be merging but would like to be able to keep the forums and posts. Does anyone know if this is possible with Impex? Cheers

That's possible with ImpEx, you'd simply only run the modules you want.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Thanks. Will it overwrite existing forums which have the same forum id number?

Comment

No, all the imported data will receive new unique ids.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Comment

well i used impex and it completely overwrote the forum! I now have lost nearly 3500 users and all the threads etc.

Comment

That's not possible. You had to have done something else. Impex does not overwrite or remove your existing users.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I ran IMPEX to merge the two forums together and it completely overwrote the existing one with the forum I was importing. I kid you not. It overwrote the users, forum information, threads, etc. I looked in the database to see if they were there and couldnt find them there either. To say I am hacked off at the moment is a huge understatement.

Comment

Just checked again and it DID wipe everything from my existing database. All I did was run the Impex script. The server kept timing out when I tried to backup the database, but having had no problems when importing from phpbb2 to vb in the past I thought I'd chance it. Wish I hadnt bothered now as I have a huge job on my hands reparing this mess.

Comment

And no response is forthcoming! Some of the old forums are still there (I have found) but I cannot access them, the maintenance script doesn't reactivate them etc. ALL thready from the last 3 months have been lost and I am furious that what should have been a simple operation has proved so costly. It will take me DAYS to repair the damage this has caused. THANKS! I suggest the IMPEX script is looked at very closely. I followed the instructions in your online manual exactly and it has got me in a right mess.

Comment

i have found that there are a couple of surviving forums in the database. However, they do not appear in my forum index and when I type the unique id for them it says I havent permission. I have tried creating a new forum and changing the id to it but that doesnt work, so how can I get them back into the main forum?

Comment

I have been struggling with this for over an hour now and apart from 'you must have done something else', support here has been non-existent. I followed your instructions to the letter and have got in a right mess. At least you could offer some assistance.

Comment

Please be advised that the main method of support is the ticket system, if you have something urgent, please use that.

I'm not sure what I should tell you. The ImpEx script will never overwrite default data, the only way that would happen is if you already imported once (possibly also from a different forum), and didn't remove the importids.
                        Best Regards
                        Colin Frei

Comment

i had initially imported it from a vb3 board to 3.5. It didnt say anywhere in the documentation that there was any issue with import ids! I changed the impex config file with the new data if that is what you mean so I dont know what else I could have changed.

Comment

The problem is, you can run a module multiple times. When you run it a second time, ImpEx deletes the previous posts that have an importid.
                            When you're all the way done with an import, it says to run the option to delete these importids.
                            Because you didn't do this, it assumed you were just rerunning a module, thus it overwrote the existing data that had importids.
                            Best Regards
                            Colin Frei

Comment

Also this wouldn't have happened if you followed the 'After the Import' instructions here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/i...rsion=30501500
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X