Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogerdugans
    replied
    Thanks for the further clarification, Jerry, but I really wasn't being sarcastic-

from the work of done so far and your first response, I really DO have a pretty clear understanding now of what I should do.

Even better after your last, of course, but I was sincere the first time.

I appreciate the help.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Basically :
    1. Set up vBullet as you want it to be.
    2. Stop registrations on your phpBB2 forum and don't create anymore forums.
    3. Import usergroups, users & forums.
    4. Set up forums and usergroups.
    5. Close phpBB2 (on final import once you have been through this list and are happy).
    6. Import the rest of the data.
    7. Check, test board.
    8. Open vBulletin, redirect phpBB.

Leave a comment:

• rogerdugans
    replied
    Obviously I am fairly new to actually Adminning vB.

Thanks for the quick reply and the explanation of the proper steps I should take.

I also expect that if I wasn't fairly frazzled by phpBB at this point, I probably could have found the answers and best procedure myself...

So I also thank you for straightening me out without heaping the abuse I most likely deserve for failing to find the answers myself on me.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerdugans
    I have run Impex to test and time the import process, and I am overall very happy with it, but when I do the import any and all of the custom configuration I do to vBulletin is lost.
    ImpEx doesn't touch anything that it didn't import.

For my testing, the first step I do is to empty the current database so that I don't have to deal with re-importation issues (doubled members, posts, etc.)
    There aren't any duplication issues, ImpEx can clears out what it imports, if you are dropping the database that's why you are loosing everything.

I then end up with about 3 hours of work to re-customize everything, which means tham y forum will be down for 3 hours while I do this. Admittedly, this is NOT a huge amount of time, and if I am left without any other options I have now got my checklist of things to do, so I am ready.
    What are you customising ? There is no reason you can't set up a whole board, take a back up, then import. That is the common procedure.

It would be very nice, however, if I could get all my customizations done in advance as it would reduce my forum down time to about an hour.

Is this possible?
    Yes, no reason at all.

I have looked through the manual and through the forums for an answer, but found nothing.....hopefully NOT due to a lack of trying or bad terminology.

Answers appreciated, even if the answer is that I am left with my 3 hour time frame- at least I could stop looking for alternatives if I know there are none.
    Thanks in advance.
    You can set up your whole board, pre import. Then close for the actual import, then sort out the usergroups and forums, then open.

Leave a comment:

• rogerdugans
    started a topic Import yet retain predefined vB settings

Import yet retain predefined vB settings

My situation is this:
    Currently running a fairly small phpBB2 forum that I will soon be moving to vBulletin 3.5.4 (or newer if released!).

The current forum has many customizations as far as appearance and forum default settings I have come up with while formatting the new vB forum.

I have run Impex to test and time the import process, and I am overall very happy with it, but when I do the import any and all of the custom configuration I do to vBulletin is lost.

For my testing, the first step I do is to empty the current database so that I don't have to deal with re-importation issues (doubled members, posts, etc.)

I then end up with about 3 hours of work to re-customize everything, which means tham y forum will be down for 3 hours while I do this. Admittedly, this is NOT a huge amount of time, and if I am left without any other options I have now got my checklist of things to do, so I am ready.

It would be very nice, however, if I could get all my customizations done in advance as it would reduce my forum down time to about an hour.

Is this possible?

I have looked through the manual and through the forums for an answer, but found nothing.....hopefully NOT due to a lack of trying or bad terminology.

Answers appreciated, even if the answer is that I am left with my 3 hour time frame- at least I could stop looking for alternatives if I know there are none.
    Thanks in advance.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X