Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a little confused. Does this mean that whenever some visits the no longer active phpBB2 topic/post URL, they get forwarded to the correct new vBulletin URL?

Or is this just a not found page that gets displayed and user still can't see the correct topic?

Comment

If they visit the no longer active phpBB2 topic, they would receive a 404 error.
      What this does is redirect the 404 error to the actual vBulletin page.
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F View Post
        If they visit the no longer active phpBB2 topic, they would receive a 404 error.
        What this does is redirect the 404 error to the actual vBulletin page.
        By actual vBulletin page do you mean the URL of that same topic now in vBulletin format or just the vBulletin main page? Sorry for the stupid questions, I just want to be 110% sure that I understand this correctly.

Comment

If possible to the same topic in vBulletin.
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Comment

One of the config options in the database is a 404 or 301 choice :

Code:
            $do_404 = false; // true = a 404 (Not Found) redirect. false is a 301 search engine friendly redirect (Moved Permanently)
            So depending on if you want a 404 or a 301 (I would advise a 301 as search engines will handle it better) you can set it how you like.

Either way the page will attempt to use the import id's to find the post/thread/forum/user in the vBulletin forum that the phpBB URL was pointed at.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Thanks. I will look at this later today. This is a much better solution than what I was thinking before. I currently have my phpBB forum hosted at mydomain.com. I have installed the test vBulletin forum at mydomain.com/forum. This new subdirectory currently has vBulletin in it, so I was thinking that I would leave phpBB and vBulletin installed simulaneously, with phpBB left as an archive, and front page hits redirecting to /forum. Then, I could also add a link at the top of my phpBB template saying "This is an archive. Go to /forum for the active forum."

Using 404.php could solve this. Is it correct that the 301 redirect will cancel out the 404 that the server sends? Thus, nobody could ever know that it's actually a redirecting 404?

I use a special URL scheme for my phpBB forum. URLs look like /article#####.html, where ##### is the topic ID. Of course, after using Impex, vBulletin's topic ID is different. But since the import IDs are still there, it should be able to find the new topic ID and redirect the visitor properly. My only concern is: can it parse article#####.html?

Comment

phpBB redirects are set up with the default file names :

Code:
                $old_forum_script 	= 'viewforum.php?f=';
                $old_thread_script 	= 'viewtopic.php?t=';
                $old_post_script 	= "viewtopic.php?p=";
                $old_user_script 	= 'profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=';
                While it might work by changing the URL parsing in 404.php the idea of leaving the phpBB board static and just using it for read only refrence.
                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

is it possible you search this tool from vb-germany?
                  incomming link converter 4 phpBB, wbb + smf
                  "not yet"

Comment

Originally posted by Onur View Post
                    is it possible you search this tool from vb-germany?
                    incomming link converter 4 phpBB, wbb + smf
                    Search the tool ? I wrote the original, I believe vb-germany must of written the others, so you would have to ask them about it.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Will this work if your previous forum was IPB?

Comment

Originally posted by Smoothie View Post
                        Will this work if your previous forum was IPB?
                        Currently no, though it is planned.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I would just like to throw out my advanced thanks for this. I am working on my second vb installation and this time it is a conversion of a phpbb forum and was really worried about losing the ability to redirect users and search engines from one to another. This looks like the perfect tool and really makes my life much easier.

Thanks. Hopefully all goes smoothly for me when I upgrade.

Comment

How does this script handle phpBB URLs like http://example.com/viewtopic.php?t=13205&start=225 which do not end with the topic number (for example search results and links to certain pages of topics). Does it look for topic 13205 or report an error because of &start=225 at the end of the URL?

Comment

As far as I know it searches for the topicid.
                              Best Regards
                              Colin Frei

Comment

Originally posted by Tomzl View Post
                                How does this script handle phpBB URLs like http://example.com/viewtopic.php?t=13205&start=225 which do not end with the topic number (for example search results and links to certain pages of topics). Does it look for topic 13205 or report an error because of &start=225 at the end of the URL?
                                It would redirect you to the vBulletin thread that had the importthreadid of 13205.
                                I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X