Matching new users with imported messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching new users with imported messages

I've looked around and don't see this covered anywhere, so here goes.

I've imported messages from a system that didn't require user registration.

Now, when users register on vBulletin, their old messages aren't associated with their new profile.

Is it possible to search all the messages after a user registers, and associate old messages by e-mail address?

Has anyone dealt with this?

David

Which system did you import from and do the old posts have usernames or email addresses for the username of the post ?
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I imported from Phorum 3.4.8, and the posts show the users' names in vB.

In Phorum, the posts have both e-mail addresses and "display" names associated with them.

The post table has only the display names in the username column.

I guess I'd have to add a column, tweak the import code, and re-run the import to enable something like this.

OTOH, post does have the importpostid column, so it might be possible to write some code that would fetch the e-mail address from the old database.

David

Comment

If the display names are constant with the new username you can use SQL to tie it all together, though you would have to do that each time a new user account was created.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

The display names are not unique (e.g., "David") so that wouldn't be reliable.

FWIW, I think that modifying the import to store an "import username" in the posts table would be a good idea. In the case of a Phorum import, it could be the e-mail address. For other source forums, it could be a unique username.

Then we could periodically run a task to match up newly registered users with old e-mail addresses.

David

Comment

In my experience, email is the best way to go as that's more unique to a person that a name.

You could alter the post table, then either put in some custom code for each post import or update ImpEx to add the email as a normal field with $try-> etc
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Here's what I did, in case anyone wants to try something like this in future:

1) Added 'importemail' columns to the 'thread' and 'post' tables.

ALTER TABLE thread ADD importemail char(100) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL;
              ALTER TABLE post ADD importemail char(100) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL;

2) Added these columns to the 'vbfields' table.

INSERT INTO vbfields
              VALUES ('importemail', 'thread', 'N', '!##NULL##!', 'return true;')
              INSERT INTO vbfields
              VALUES ('importemail', 'post', 'N', '!##NULL##!', 'return true;')

3) Added this to 005.php (after all the other set_value calls):

$try->set_value('nonmandatory', 'importemail', $thread_details['email']);

4) Added this to 006.php:

$try->set_value('nonmandatory', 'importemail', $post_details['email']);

5) Modified import_post and import_thread in ImpExDatabase_350.php to store the new columns. For example:

Code:
              $sql = "
                  INSERT INTO " . $tableprefix . "post
                  (
                      threadid, userid, importthreadid,
                      visible, attach, importpostid[COLOR=Red], importemail[/COLOR]
                  )
                  VALUES
                  (
                      '" . $this->get_value('mandatory', 'threadid') . "',
                      '" . $this->get_value('nonmandatory', 'importpostid') . "'[COLOR=Red],
              [/COLOR][COLOR=Red]        '" . addslashes($this->get_value('nonmandatory', 'importemail')) . "'
              [/COLOR]    )
              ";
              6) Re-run the thread and post imports using ImpEx.

7) Run lots of SQL updates (such as the following) to assocate threads/posts from selected users with their vBulletin user profiles:

UPDATE thread SET postuserid=9 WHERE postuserid=0
              AND importemail='[email protected]';

UPDATE post SET userid=9 WHERE userid=0
              AND importemail='[email protected]';

8) Do the "end game" stuff from the import FAQ, plus run Update Post Counts to fix up the tables.

9) Wait a while. (I'm not sure if there's a scheduled task that kicks in and fixes things up, or if things were cached, but it took a few minutes for things to look right.)

David

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X