• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection to source server failed.

Clean import.
    Source: vB 3.5.1
    Target: vB 3.5.2
    Before any modules.
    Error: Connection to source server failed. Check username and password.

Reposting this on a new thread... I'm getting this error before I even select which BB is the source. Is this supposed to happen? I just click Import and there it is...

I know that the stuff is wrong, I'm trying to get the source host's info, but it really just shouldn't wham into an error before I get to select anything...

Comment

Fix the source info and that problem will go away.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

OK, according to my SOURCE host, the right infos there. I've put in their server, not localhost. I've added various access hosts to my SOURCE host which are my TARGET host's domains. It still says there's a source error.

And, I can't move the tables to my current host so it's local because it keeps giving me a SQL error when SSHing it up, and it times out in phpMyAdmin (it has 90000 posts). Any help is appreciated...

Comment

That's the probblem. The source server is not allowing remote connections from your server.

As for SQL errors using SSH to backup, this is certainly not common. What exactly are you doing and what happens when you do this?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            As for SQL errors using SSH to backup, this is certainly not common. What exactly are you doing and what happens when you do this?
            I'm just doing the SSH restore just as the manual states, and then I got a message saying there was a MySQL syntax error on line 19000 (a number close to that).

It might be because of my host's 100mb database limit. Mine is 123.3mb. Is it possible to link two databases with vBulletin?

Comment

If your new host limits databases to 100Mb and your old one is 123, you might consider choosing a different host.

Without seeing the exact error you get on restoring (please post the full error, Copy&Paste) it is not possible to say for sure if that is the problem, but it would bring you into problems sooner or later.

Using ImpEx instead of a restore will not solve the problem, the size of the database will remain the same.

If you still want to use your new host, then you could try cleaning the database on the old server first by removing old attachments (or move them to the filesystem. Then make a new backup and try restoring that. If you moved the attachments to filesystem, don't forget to copy those also using FTP.

MAKE A FULL BACKUP BEFORE YOU START THE ABOVE.
              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoH64
                If your new host limits databases to 100Mb and your old one is 123, you might consider choosing a different host.
                I'm looking into getting an inexpensive plan from another host for the sole purpose of a remote database. Would that work well?

Originally posted by MarcoH64
                If you still want to use your new host, then you could try cleaning the database on the old server first by removing old attachments (or move them to the filesystem. Then make a new backup and try restoring that. If you moved the attachments to filesystem, don't forget to copy those also using FTP.
                It'd still be well over 100 (I actually miscounted, it was 154megs), but how would I go about doing that?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFinney
                  I'm looking into getting an inexpensive plan from another host for the sole purpose of a remote database. Would that work well?
                  I doubt that will work and solve your problems. First of all your dataabase server should allow connections by external servers, and most hosts don't like this. Also all your data from and to the database would go over the internet (unless the 2nd server is at the same host/datacenter and both servers are connected using a LAN conection) and this would at least slow down your boards a lot.
                  Originally posted by TheFinney
                  It'd still be well over 100 (I actually miscounted, it was 154megs), but how would I go about doing that?

Thanks!
                  On your old host: AdminCP->Attachments->Attachment Storage Type

See also: Attachment Storage

Make sure to make backups before you start!!!!
                  Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                  Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X