Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

moving forum from one domain to another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving forum from one domain to another?

I recently setup vbulletin at www.bmwvsmercedesbenz.com

but I wanted to move it to www.bmwvsmercedes.com is this possible without loosing any of the posts already on the forum?

If so could someone please point me in the right direction of how to go about this task?

Thanks so much!
    \

Are you moving servers?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

No it would be the same hosting servers.
      \

Comment

Then you really shouldn't have to do anything.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

okay I know I have to do something as my forum won't magicly move from one domain to another...I am new at this so could someone please point me in the right direction of how to do this??
          Thanks
          \

Comment

If it's not a different server then just move the files.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

if you are using a half decent host you can just ask them to update/change the domain on your account, if you are using CPanel and you have some addon domains left it would be even easier.

If you can get this to happen, you wont need to do anything apart from updating the links in your admincp > options

But yes, i say talk to your host first, usually if they are any use they can do it for you and you shouldnt have to do much at all.

Comment

Okay I moved the files over...now I get an error message

Warning: main(/home/bmwvsmer/public_html/luxury-cars/includes/init.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/bmwvsmer/public_html/luxury-cars/global.php on line 20

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/home/bmwvsmer/public_html/luxury-cars/includes/init.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/bmwvsmer/public_html/luxury-cars/global.php on line 20

So I go to line 20 of the global.php and it reads "require_once(CWD . '/includes/init.php');"

What files am I suppost to update? Do I need to move the database too or can I leave it at the old site which I still own??
                \

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X