Yahoo Groups import?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoo Groups import?

I notice that one of the import-able forums is Yahoo Groups. My forum was originally on Yahoo Groups before I moved it to SMF, and I have a large archive of messages there. I found a way to get the Yahoo Groups messages into a MySQL database table and I was going to write an interface to this in PHP. But if I can import the messages into vBulletin somehow, that would be even better.

How does the Yahoo Groups import work? What format does it expect archive to be in (and what technique to accomplish this)?

It takes the mail backup file from the group.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
      It takes the mail backup file from the group.
      How do I get a mail backup file from the group? Do you have a link to a utility that creates this? The only one I know of is here:

http://www.tt-solutions.com/en/products/yahoo2mbox/

and it's plagued with time-out problems linked to your IP address that would drive me mad before I captured the database. You have to wait 3 hours for the timeouts to expire.

I've already extracted the entire message archive and put it into a mysql database. Is there a way I can use this? I have these fields:

From (varchar 128)
      Subject (varchar 128)
      RecDate (varchar 25 - for example: 1/1/2003 18:56:00)
      Message (blob)

The downside is that I don't have the member list. I don't really need that (it's okay with me if all the messages appear to be written by people who are no longer members), but if there is a practical way to capture this in Unix mail format, I'm willing to do it.

Thanks.

Comment

yahoo groups? oh my god! someone shut yahoo groups down! they are nothing but pain

Comment

As far as I'm aware the mail file is the standard back up from yahoo.

I have seen that tool being used before and heard much the same reports !

To import the messages, I'd think you'd have to have one forum and then create threads based on a best matched subject, or its going to be all the messages in one thread. In the file based importer I do it on subject and best guess from the date in a range.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I've never seen any kind of backup tool offered by Yahoo Groups itself. They don't want to make it easy to move messages to other software. If you've seen such a tool, I'd love to know about it.

It's a shame that you wrote the Yahoo Groups importer based on the mail file format used by the utility with the time-out problem. There are other ways to do it. I managed to get my Yahoo Group's archive into a MySQL database, and then it was pretty simple to write an interface for that in PHP (just a reader - not a whole forum!). I should post an article in my blog about how I got the Yahoo archive into MySQL. It wasn't hard, but there were a few tricks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X