• Show
Clear All

• phpBB > vb3 Problem

Info
    Sourceboard: phpBB v. 2.0.15
    Targetboard: vBulletin v. 3.07
    Aprox 200k posts, 12k threads, 2k users

Problem
    Using the latest version of ImpEx everything works fine until I try and import the posts. (Whereas I am no expert on this, nor on MySQL, I have used vB import tools before with much success)

The import (of posts) process seems to work fine regardless of how many posts I ask ImpEx to do, (tried 2000, 1000, 500, 10) until the last few posts. At some point, very close to the end of the import session, ImpEx / vB just "stops" and the data on the screen from the last batch is just "hanging there" while --from the looks of it, the page continously reloads in some loop.

I have only tried to do this with FireFox (not that i know if that has anything to do with this) and was about to try with IE but when I try to access the import control panel now all I get is a CGI error.

The last try of the import (10 posts per batch) took about 32 hours.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated!

- Mike // www.cstrike.no/forums/
    Using vBulletin since 2002
    -- Because there is no better

It sounds like there is one post that may have bad data. Can you identify the post it's hanging on?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have no idea how to do that, but it does not appear to be the same every time. Do I need to close the phpBB forum before doing this? And does it matter wheter or not one uses IE / Mozilla / Opera / etc?

Comment

Yes, you should definitely close the phpBB forum. Maybe the db was being written to when you tried to import.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

At some point, very close to the end of the import session, ImpEx / vB just "stops" and the data on the screen from the last batch is just "hanging there" while --from the looks of it, the page continously reloads in some loop.
          It will be updating the parent id's, I'd leave it at 2000 per page.

I use FireFox too, I doubt its anything to do with that, I'm guessing parent id's.

So its "hangs" or it reloads ? I'm a bit confused.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by eMike
            I have no idea how to do that, but it does not appear to be the same every time. Do I need to close the phpBB forum before doing this? And does it matter wheter or not one uses IE / Mozilla / Opera / etc?
            Ahh I didn't know that ..... As Steve said either close it, or take a copy of the dB and do the import from the copy, as that won't be changing.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Okay, will try that one.

only problem now is that upon pressing "Import / Export" the page just hangs for a while until it times out completely. (Everything else works fine) Any easy solutions to that?

And... does it matter if i use IE or FireFox ?

Comment

Oi you guys are fast!

Not sure what you mean by copy.
                Do a db backup and import the data from a *.sql file? (in which case how?) or copy the tables to a new db?

Comment

Okay, will try that one.

only problem now is that upon pressing "Import / Export" the page just hangs for a while until it times out completely. (Everything else works fine) Any easy solutions to that?
                  Sounds like the session is broken or its stucking doing something it can't.

Browse directly to the help page ..../forum/impex/help.php and delete the session and all imported data and start again I'd say.

And... does it matter if i use IE or FireFox ?
                  No.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Not sure what you mean by copy.
                    Do a db backup and import the data from a *.sql file?
                    Yup, copy the whole database into a new one.

You can take a copy like this :

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

And restore it to a new database like this :

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I give up

Thankyou for your help gentlemen
                      Unfortunately the problem still persists, and regardless of how i twist and turn this, the outcome is identical.

I tried closing the phpBB forums, tried copying the db to a new location and prayed to the php and mysql gods with no luck. At the end somewhere, the page just stops at some random name / post until it times out.

As most of the posts have been imported, I assume that I can just "ignore" the last few of them as every attempt made seems futile at this point - (three days of importing seems a tad over the top) - and just go ahead and update counters with no fear of any harmful mysql / php oddities?

If "yes", what about these ID's created by the import script, should (and how) they be removed? And are there other conciderations I should / need to be aware of?

Comment

Can you contact me via support :

http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

and I can have a look at what is going on.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
                          Can you contact me via support :

http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

and I can have a look at what is going on.
                          Thankyou for the offer Jerry, but I got it sortof working in some odd way. Lost a few thousand posts and a couple of houndred users in the process though, but I prefer that before losing more time. Choice between two evils so to say.

Once again, thankyou for your help!

- Mike

Comment

I've love to know what was going on there as I don't think I have seen that one before.
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X