SMF import - bug report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMF import - bug report

I've noticed a number of small but annoying bugs in the SMF import feature, which I thought it would be useful to report back to you.

1. vb_user error: The birthday_search field is brought over correctly, but the birthday field (which is just a variation of birthday_search) is a Unix date in it instead of what it should have. The birthday_search field has the form yyyy-mm-dd, and the birthday field has the form mm-dd-yyyy (don't know why both are needed in the first place, but both are there).

2. vb_user error: The lastactivity field is not set. It should be set to the value of lastpost (if lastpost is non-zero), else to the value of joindate.

3. The [size] tag in SMF is slightly different than in vBulletin, and instead of translating it, it's treated as a literal. vBulletin users sizes 1-7 (e.g. [size=4]) whereas SMF uses points (e.g. [size=14pt]). It would be easy to map these.

4. SMF supports the [hr] tag (same as <hr>) and vBulletin does not, so this appears as a literal. It should be either replace with a line like this:

5. SMF uses htmlspecialchars() before storing messages, so quotes appear as &quot;, etc. The import utility does not parse this, so these codes appear as literals.

6. Custom avatars are not moved over. I only had about 100 of these so I added them manually (once I figured out how they were stored), but it was tedious, time-consuming, and un-fun.

I think I'm forgetting a few things. I'll add a reply if I remember.

Originally posted by permutations
    1. vb_user error:
    2. vb_user error:
    5. SMF uses htmlspecialchars
    6. Custom avatars are not moved over.
    Fixed and in the impex download.

3. The [size] tag in SMF is slightly different than in vBulletin, and instead of translating it, it's treated as a literal. vBulletin users sizes 1-7 (e.g. [size=4]) whereas SMF uses points (e.g. [size=14pt]). It would be easy to map these.

4. SMF supports the [hr] tag (same as <hr>) and vBulletin does not, so this appears as a literal. It should be either replace with a line like this:

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
      Originally Posted by permutations
      1. vb_user error: birthday_search
      2. vb_user error: lastactivity
      5. SMF uses htmlspecialchars
      6. Custom avatars are not moved over.

Fixed and in the impex download.
      Woo hoo, Jerry! You rock!

Originally Posted by permutations

I'd need example source data to test on to update the importer to fix that.
      I'll go put some sample data together for you now.
      Will you be posting another upgrade very soon (so I should hold off on re-doing the import with the last update)?

Comment

I'll do it as soon as I get the data.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

problems with new version

I sent you a link to a database that demonstrates the SMF tags.

A number of problems were introduced with the new version of the import utility that you uploaded today:

1. Private messages are no longer imported (this used to work).

2. Birthdays are no longer imported at all. It used to be that the birthday field was imported correctly, but the birthday_search field had invalid data. Now they both are blank.

3. The only custom avatar you brought over was the one that was a stored off-site (specified as an off-site link). The majority of custom avatars were uploaded to the server (stored in the attachments folder) and you didn't capture any of these.

Plus, SMF has the ability to dynamically size the bitmaps so they are displayed at the correct size. Your code doesn't account for this, so the one picture you brought over is giant.

4. The lastactivity field is not set (should be to the lastpost or joindate).

The only fix that seems to have worked is that quotes are now quotes (versus &quot.

Comment

1. Private messages are no longer imported (this used to work).
            I didn't touch anything to do with PM's.

2. Birthdays are no longer imported at all.
            Typo, have fixed.

3. The only custom avatar you brought over was the one that was a stored off-site (specified as an off-site link). The majority of custom avatars were uploaded to the server (stored in the attachments folder) and you didn't capture any of these.
            The examples I have are all stored as url's so php can open them, the examples to avatar_1.jpg on your site is forbidden so there is no example I could use.

Plus, SMF has the ability to dynamically size the bitmaps so they are displayed at the correct size. Your code doesn't account for this, so the one picture you brought over is giant.
            Nope, its not going to resize the images, its going to scale them on the front end with HTML. The only way around this is to get the users to upload a correctly sized version of the image, impex is not going to do image scaling on the fly.

4. The lastactivity field is not set (should be to the lastpost or joindate).
            Which is technically correct as there is no activity on the board from that user, this is also a good way of pruning them, though I have set it to lastLogin or the reg date now.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

[QUOTE author=Jerry]I didn't touch anything to do with PM's.[/QUOTE]

I can't explain it, but I'm certain there was a problem. I tried it repeatedly, and no private messages were imported. I went back to an earlier version of impex and it worked fine.

I'll go try the latest version.

Comment

I can't explain it, but I'm certain there was a problem. I tried it repeatedly, and no private messages were imported. I went back to an earlier version of impex and it worked fine.

I can also confirm that Private Messages are not importing for me. As well as polls.

Also, what is the exact path we should use for importing attachments? I have used the only possible ones I can think of, but I get the "Source Not Found" message too.

Thanks for the help,

Comment

Strange indeed, I've checked the CVS history to make sure I'm not dreaming it, and I didn't touch that module.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by xbleed
                    I can also confirm that Private Messages are not importing for me. As well as polls.
                    Well thats two people so there must be something going on ! I'll check the download build.

Also, what is the exact path we should use for importing attachments? I have used the only possible ones I can think of, but I get the "Source Not Found" message too.
                    For attachments, its going to be the local directory path so as an example :

/home/jerry/public_html/snitz_forum/attachments
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

For attachments, its going to be the local directory path so as an example :

/home/jerry/public_html/snitz_forum/attachments
                      Thanks, in that case, I'm afraid to report that the attachments are not importing either. I tried the path with (and without) beginning/ending slashes and all. But had no luck with them. The importer just reports that the source could not be found.

Comment

Thanks, in that case, I'm afraid to report that the attachments are not importing either. I tried the path with (and without) beginning/ending slashes and all. But had no luck with them. The importer just reports that the source could not be found.
                        And you have ssh access and have found the file and the exact path ?
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Hm, well.. no, I don't have SSH access. Is there no way to do it without SSH?

Comment

You won't be able to see the real path in FTP. One roundabout way is to look at your phpinfo page for DOCUMENT_ROOT and then use this to figure out where the real path is.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hm. That's the path I used. "/home/******/public_html/forums/attachments"

I've used that, and a few alterations to it (with/without ending slashes, etc)
                              When it gives me a "Source Not Found" error, it is also displaying image names so from what it seems, it IS finding them. Or atleast it can see them enough to get the image names.

For example:

Source file not found :: attachment -> friendship_redone_colour.jpg
                              Source file not found :: attachment -> FLOWeR6_09.gif
                              Last edited by xbleed; Thu 14th Jul '05, 5:58pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X