Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connection to source server failed. Check username and password.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection to source server failed. Check username and password.

This error I get when trying to import from VB3 to VB3.

I'm copying the server info directly from the source config.php file, so I don't see how this info could be wrong.

If the server name/login or password in the config.php file would be wrong, the forum wouldn't even work to begin with, right?

The connection problem could be to the source db. Is it on the same server as vB?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

No, both the target and the source db are on a different server then the actuall vb.

Considering the old forum (source) works just fine, I'm asuming that the info in the config.php file is 100% correct, so I just copied that info into the impexconfig file.

Comment

Is the new server (assuming you're running ImpEx there) allowed access to databases on teh other server?

Try testing it out with 'mysql' on the commandline if you have SSH/Telnet access.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by TheRayden
          No, both the target and the source db are on a different server then the actuall vb.
          Both the source and target are on a different server than the vB you are importing to? I don't see how that is possible.

Nonnetheless, the 'Connection to source server failed' error means that you do not have permission to connect to that sserver. Either the info in ImpExConfig.php is wrong, or that server does not allow remote connections from your server.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Its best to have the databases on the same server, if that can't be done run impex on the same server as vBulletin and then grant access to impex on the remote source server.

If your vB IP address is 123.123.123.123, your source database is called old_board and If you can, run this on the source server :

Code:
            GRANT SELECT ON old_board.* TO 'impex'@'123.123.123.123' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
            If the target is on a diffrent server too, you will have to GRANT ALL so impex can write to that database as well.

If you can't run that, you'll have to back up, move and restore the database on the vB server, which is the ideal also.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
              If you can't run that, you'll have to back up, move and restore the database on the vB server, which is the ideal also.
              Yeah, that's how I did it now. Made backups from the old board then restored them on the new server via phpmyadmin, works like a charm.

Phpmyadmin wasn't able to take the entire .sql file at once so I had to do it in a couple of time, still, it works fine now.

Comment

Working...
              X