Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to use newer import to write over old import?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to use newer import to write over old import?

Hello everyone.

The last 3 weeks we've been furiously working on the vB layout which is now looking mighty sexy, but converted the at that time up-to-date PHPbb database into vB so we had something to fill the board with while we were working on the style.

We are ready now to launch the board, problem is that we are unable to update the database (phpbb was running for another 3 weeks in the time we were working on vB) with all the new posts. I've searched the forums for answers, but non really did help us (flush database, including tables is not an option).

My question is, is there a way to overwrite the old phpbb database with the new? Probably not, so my other question is: if we use the prune command from the Admin CP, does it fysicly remove the posts (from the old PHPbb convert) so that we can import the new database without breaking a sweat? If so, i suppose there is a mass prune command?
    "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."
    -Scott Adams

Nevermind, we figured it out.
    "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."
    -Scott Adams

Comment

We're on the verge of the exact same situation, our test data is now months old, however our new vB3 forum (from phpbb) is done and ready to go. Can I run Impex again and overwrite just the user/post/forum date? (without affecting other changes, i.e. styles/templates etc.). What solution did you discover?

Thanks!

Comment

Well, apparently one of the admins that solved it is also serverowner and very skilled database manipulator. He was fiddling about for half an hour and then figured it out.

Ill ask him how he did it but at the moment he is on vacation.
        -Scott Adams

Comment

-nm- ignore this post.
          -Scott Adams

Comment

As long as you haven't removed the import id's or killed the session, just use the help links at the top of each page to remove all the imported data.

Idealy you'd have a backup of the database of the target board with out and data in it, but with all your modifications.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Working...
            X