Need help preparing for a clean import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help preparing for a clean import

I've spent a lot of time setting up my templates, building a test database with the functionality I need, etc. Now its time to purge the test db and import my UBB.

First thing I did was purge all users except myself.
    Next, I deleted all the forums.

I figured I was ready to do the import, but I decided to poke around the database to make sure there were no artifacts of the test database.

However, I found that two tables appear to have not been cleaned up during the purge:

userfield and usertextfield each contain rows corresponding to users that are no longer in the user table. Also, since there are no longer any posts, I would expect that postindex would be empty. Is that an accurate assumption?

Questions:
    • What is the safest way to clean up the above tables prior to import?
    • Is there any other cleanup I need to do?
    • I see that the user table "next autoindex" is still set to the total number of users prior to purge. How should I change that so I can do a clean import? Should I just change the auto_increment value to 2 (since there is only 1 user - me)?
    • Any other prep work?

Thanks!

How did you remove the users? Those tables should have been updated when you did this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I used "prune" to get rid of the users. I suspect the entries in the table may be an artifact of an earlier failed import of UBB, however I can't be certain since I didn't check for it at the time.

Comment

Well you could manually remove all rows in the userfield and usertextfield tables except for the one that matches the one in your user table.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I would suggest using the "Database cleanup & restart" link at the top of every impex page.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
            I would suggest using the "Database cleanup & restart" link at the top of every impex page.
            That would only help after I run an import. I need to clean things up before running the import. So I guess my only option is to manually delete the rows from the two tables.

Any other thoughts on this?

BTW - I found several other tables that don't get cleaned up when users and forums are removed:
            • passwordhistory
            • pm, pmreceipt, pmtxt
            • subscribeevent
            • user_activation

There are probably others as well.
            Last edited by Gary Fischman; Wed 4 May '05, 2:23pm.

Comment

Jerry meant to run this before doing the import.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                Jerry meant to run this before doing the import.
                Tried. It didn't do anything to those two tables. I decided to just delete all the rows other than 'userid'=1.

Comment

Just tried a test import. When I was doing the threads, I got the following error, and the importer hung there.

forum_5.threads missing moving on
                  Fatal error: Cannot break/continue 1 level in /user/forum/www/vb/impex/systems/ubb_classic/006.php on line 229
                  What next?

Comment

It looks like bad data from UBB. Not sure what to do about this. Jerry will have to sort this one out.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

BTW - after the failure, I clicked on "Database Cleanup", and deleted the entire import. The userfield and usertextfield didn't get cleaned up. Gotta do 'em manually again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Fischman
                        Tried. It didn't do anything to those two tables. I decided to just delete all the rows other than 'userid'=1.
                        I miss read, I thought you were removing test import data. Running this against normal data will not clean it up as its not imported.

BTW - after the failure, I clicked on "Database Cleanup", and deleted the entire import. The userfield and usertextfield didn't get cleaned up. Gotta do 'em manually again.
                        I've tracked that down to a few versions of MySQL, and am looking at ways of sorting it.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
                          I miss read, I thought you were removing test import data. Running this against normal data will not clean it up as its not imported.

I've tracked that down to a few versions of MySQL, and am looking at ways of sorting it.
                          If it helps, I'm using MySQL 4.1.11.

Any idea about the fatal error above?

Comment

If it helps, I'm using MySQL 4.1.11.

Any idea about the fatal error above?
                            I've not come accross that fatal before as the continue; is there to take it out of a loop if there is no forum data, all I can suggest there is to comment out line 229 in that file, its a continue; call.
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Any diagnostics I can add to that line so we can see what's going on and why it terminates?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X