Importing Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Error

Im trying to get database from a phpbb to my vbulletin yet everytime i get this error...

Database error in vBulletin:ImpEx Target 3.0.7:

Link-ID == false, connect failed
    mysql error:

mysql error number: 0

what does it mean ?

This error means that either the info in your config file is wrong, or there is a problem with the MySQL server. If you are sure the source and target database details are correct, then you'll need to contact your host.

Comment

thanks im a total newbie at this im starting again this time it should work finger crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxy
        This error means that either the info in your config file is wrong, or there is a problem with the MySQL server. If you are sure the source and target database details are correct, then you'll need to contact your host.
        You guys keep giving this stock answer, but many people keep having this problem. I contacted my host. They told me that it was not their problem. I believed you and changed hosts. I am still having the problem with the new host. Is someone there working on this problem or are you going to continue with your head in the sand?

The config file is fine. It is the same as it was when it worked perfectly for months until the upgrade. I know it is easier to just say it must be the host, but it is obvious that there is a problem.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but it is from weeks of frustration dealing with this problem.

Comment

There is a stock answer because there are a finite set of issues that cause this problem. This error means that either:

1) The db info in your config.php file is wrong (in which case your forums won't work at all.)

2) That user doesn't have permission to access the database listed in config.php.

3) The database doesn't exist.

4) MySQL isn't accepting new connections. (The server could either be down or has reached it's maximum connections limit.)

If you are sure your config.php info is correct, then you will need to contact your host about this.

Note, many servers are being probed for the phpBB worm these days and the MySQL server is being overloaded. This could account for these errors.

If it's not 1,2 or 3, then this is a server issue.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have read this exact answer before. If there was a problem with my host and I switch hosts and now I have the same problem with the new host, isn't it reasonable to assume that the only constant in the equation is Vbulletin? Why won't you guys at least be open to the possibility that there is a problem?

Assuming you won't, can you tell me what the host is doing that is causing the problem? I could understand if I was the only person having a problem, but there are MANY people have the same problem on MANY different hosts.

If we go to our host and say, my entire web site is running fine, connections are fine and everything is good except the vbulletin forum, they say it is a problem with vbulletin. Is there a setting that I can have them check?
            Last edited by Mike Wilbanks; Sat 9 Apr '05, 9:10pm.

Comment

In all honesty, my post contains all the known reasonsfor the 'false, connect failed' error. If there is another unknow cause (which based on my knowledge and experience isvery unlikely), then that is beyond my knowledge.

Look at this logically. If your forums are not running and you are getting the false error, then the cause is 1, 2, 3 or possibly 4.

If itis connecting but you are sometimes getting this error, then this is definitely not a vB issue since the vB code does not change at random.

It's not that I am not 'open' to other possibilities as you put it. It's just that I do not know of any other possibilities. In this cause, what exactly do you want me to do?

Originally posted by Mike Wilbanks
              If we go to our host and say, my entire web site is running fine, connections are fine and everything is good except the vbulletin forum, they say it is a problem with vbulletin. Is there a setting that I can have them check?
              Is your frum working or not? As I said I have shared ALL the known causes of this error. It's not just my meager knwoledge that;s involved. This is the cumulative knwoledge pof hundreds of people who have posted on this forum and others.

If you find a new, previuously undiscovered cause of this problm, then please share it with us so I cna update my lest. Meanwhile I am stuck with my knowledge, experience, and my inherent reasoning capabilities.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

My forum is running 95% time, no problems. Then I will start getting the emails with Forum Database Connection error. The forum will be down for an hour or so off and on and then magically it will start working again for a day or two, then the same problem comes back.

No one is questioning your knowledge. I am just saying that if many poeple are getting these errors at random, there is some problem. The host says it is not them, you guys say it is not vbulletin. I believed you and changed hosts, now new host same problems. I have been running vbulletin flawlessly for months, these problems first started after the upgrade.

If the problem is with the host. What is it? Where do I start? What do I ask them?

I believe you that many of the hosts out there have trouble running the new vbulletin, what do we ask them to check. Telling them that there is some problem does no good. Is there a setting that is wrong?

Comment

I have shared my accumulated knowledge and experince the best I can and these point to your issues being a server problem. It is not uncommon for a host to say there server is not at fault.

If vB were at fault, then it would not work at all. If a server is at fault, then this could be due to it simply being more busy sometimes then at other times. IMO this is he most likely cause of your problem. However if you do not want to accept that then there really isn't anything more I can offer. I only know what I know.

I am 'open' to any other reasonable explanations.

As for,
                  Originally posted by Mike Wilbanks
                  I believe you that many of the hosts out there have trouble running the new vbulletin, what do we ask them to check. Telling them that there is some problem does no good. Is there a setting that is wrong?
                  I never said 'many hosts' are having problems with the new vB. In fact, quite the opposite is true. For every one vB reporting a problem like this, there are hundreds that don't.

A host that does not want to accept responsibility is unlikely to listen to any suggestions you make. However look at reason #4:

4) MySQL isn't accepting new connections. (The server could either be down or has reached it's maximum connections limit.)

There are server settings that limit the number of simultaneous MySQL connections they allow. When the server goes over that limit, you get the 'false, connect failed' error.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    I never said 'many hosts' are having problems with the new vB. In fact, quite the opposite is true. For every one vB reporting a problem like this, there are hundreds that don't.
                    I can see that many people have posted on this forum that they are having the same problem when running vb. You have said it is a problem with the host. Therefore many hosts are having problems running vb. Unless we all happen to be on the same host.

Do you have a suggestion of a host that can successfully run VB? Like I said I already changed once.

I have worked hard to get my vb board just the way I want it. I was coming here looking for answers to stay with vb. I can't keep changing hosts and I cannot keep having the board go down.

Comment

There are server settings that limit the number of simultaneous MySQL connections they allow. When the server goes over that limit, you get the 'false, connect failed' error.
                      Before I switched, I asked the host about the max connections. They said it was set to 50 and that was the most they could offer. I have a fairly small board and that seemd like plenty. What do suggest the max connections should be set to?

Comment

However if you do not want to accept that then there really isn't anything more I can offer.

It is not that I don't want to accept that. It is just that if I install a program on a computer, get an error, then thinking it is the computer, install the program on another computer and get the same error. It is logical to start to look at the program instead of assuming that multiple computers are bad. This situation seems similar to me.

I guess I will just deal with it on my own like I have been. Thanks for your help.

Comment

The script works. The part that is erroring is very basic php. Download the test script and run it on your web server and see if you can access the mysql server. You did create the database you are connecting to right?

Comment

Originally posted by ZacUSNYR
                            The script works. The part that is erroring is very basic php. Download the test script and run it on your web server and see if you can access the mysql server. You did create the database you are connecting to right?
                            My Forum is running fine 95% of the time. It connectes, there are thousands of posts and threads. I am not having trouble getting the board started. After I upgraded, I started having this intermitent error. I get maybe 100 emails saying:

vBulletin (Forum) Database error!:

Link-ID == false, connect failed

mysql error:

mysql error number: 0
                            Then it starts working again for a day or two.

Do a search on this board with this "Link-ID == false, connect failed" you will see how many people are experiencing the exact same problem as me.

Comment

If your forum is running 95% of the time then it is more than likely a problem with your MYSQL failing (max connections or something to that nature). Although you and the original poster are getting the same error it does not mean the cause of the error is the same (hence Steve's "stock" answer).

Yes you can search these forums and see several people that are getting that error, but you can also search Google and get about 38,000 results from other people that are getting this error that are not even running VB. I have also seen several people that have gotten this error and got it corrected by doing some optimization of their MYSQL. I would recommend following the directions in this thread http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70117 and let eva2000 look over your configuration to see if he can help you out with optimizing your MYSQL. He would also be able to help point out potential problems with your MYSQL configuration and recommend some things to help you out. It would be worth a shot anyway to let him try.

Best of luck getting it worked out.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X