OpenTopic Anomalies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenTopic Anomalies

We're currently running OpenTopic and trying to begin hosting the forums ourselves. The OpenTopic export was pretty bad and the vBulletin import script is even worse.

1) The importpostid was not being populated by the import script. I found a place in the script where the importthreadid was being saved a second time... looked like a bug so I changed it to save the importpostid, instead. It looks like the logical place. Seems to work.

This allows me to convert internal OpenTopic links over to the new vBulletin links. Except for search style links.... which are totaly different animals.

2) Then I noticed the importcategoryid was not the OpenTopic category but rather the first forumid within each category. Arrghhh. Instead of fixing the import I'm just fixing internal links to categories by using a hardcoded list of OpenTopic categoryid's.

3) Next I wrote a script that pulls attachments down from our OpenTopic Forums and for each one inserts a row into the attachment table. Thankfully, the OpenTopic export gives enough info to reconstruct the URL for each attachment. I haven't started testing it, yet. Trying to figure out if I need to generate thumbnails. There's a column in the attachment table for a thumbnail but the software doesn't seem to display them anywhere.

4) Polls don't get converted properly. I could probably write yet another program to convert polls so the answers and results get displayed. Unfortunately, poll tags exist in the export but the data doesn't seem to. Every tag for answers, vote counts, etc, seems to have no associated value.

5) Private topics are not in the export, either. So converting them will be a lot of work. I wonder if InfoPop would give us the data? Most likely I'll be writing a script to surf every private topic and gather the info.

6) A minimum of membership information is converted. I suppose I will have to write another script to convert our custom profile info.

All this is adding up to a lot of work. The cost for this is much greater than the cost for the software. I have to now investigate what our other options are. This conversion is just very expensive.
    CareCure.org - THE place for spinal cord injury information.

What version of OT ?
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Thank you for replying. I'm trying not to be depressed! It's OpenTopic 3.1.0

Comment

Originally posted by CareCureJeff
        Thank you for replying. I'm trying not to be depressed! It's OpenTopic 3.1.0
        Well that is the latest version I'm aware off, though I've not come across this kind of trouble importing from it before.

The OpenTopic export was pretty bad
        What happened there ?
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I did a full export. Attachments, private topics and [it looks like] poll data are not part of the export.

I thought InfoPop might have forum software with good importing from OpenTopic but all I can see are Classic and Threads... two dead-end products.

We like vBulletin, so far, but this conversion is a really big job. And it looks like we might need InfoPop's help getting to all of our information. Hope they're agreeable, we've paid them enough.

There should be a standard XML format with easy movement between providers. I wonder if one exists?

Do you have other customers who have done a meticulous conversion from OpenTopic to vBulletin? I'd love to hear how they made out.

Comment

I did a full export. Attachments, private topics and [it looks like] poll data are not part of the export.
            The importer gets users, forums and posts only at the moment.

I thought InfoPop might have forum software with good importing from OpenTopic but all I can see are Classic and Threads... two dead-end products.
            The UBB.threads importer is much better, that might be a viable route.

We like vBulletin, so far, but this conversion is a really big job. And it looks like we might need InfoPop's help getting to all of our information. Hope they're agreeable, we've paid them enough.
            I will be interested to hear what their response to your request is.

There should be a standard XML format with easy movement between providers. I wonder if one exists?
            I don't think that most vendors would like such an idea, though it is possiable.

Do you have other customers who have done a meticulous conversion from OpenTopic to vBulletin? I'd love to hear how they made out.
            I've done several myself, one with a customer where the main focus was on content parsing.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I started over

Re-installed vBulletin 3.0.7. Deleted my old database in fact.

This time I imported only one forum so testing would be easier. I also re-downloaded the import system hoping for changes.

All the importpostids are still zero. So, I have to go back to my old hack. Importpostids are necessary for fixing internal links and re-adding attachments to posts.

BTW, I found the InfoPop poll data. It was there all the time so I'll write a program to reconstruct polls.

I noticed that with other imports there are options to import polls, attachments, etc.... unlike with OpenTopic.

mysql> select count(*) from post;
              +----------+
              | count(*) |
              +----------+
              | 2453 |
              +----------+
              1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select importpostid, count(*) from post group by importpostid;
              +--------------+----------+
              | importpostid | count(*) |
              | 0 | 2453 |
              1 row in set (0.07 sec)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X