Import system and passwords.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import system and passwords.

So Impex does not import passwords? Please tell me so that I stop wasting time and can make a decision. Asking *all* users to reset password is not really a good option.

I've been trying to import SMF to VB since y'day.

Thanks for your kind attention to the matter.

The passwords in SMF appear to be a md5 hash and are imported as such, if they are not a clean md5 hash then they are seeded in which case they cannot be imported.

It is very simple for a user to reset a password, the number of users makes no difference as each one has to do it once regardless if you have 50 or 50,000.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

How exactly will users reset their passwords? I ImpEx imported 100 users from a TXT file. I included username, email, password in the import, and thought the passwords would import okay, because the ImpEx Importer allowed me to assign field type "password" to my row #3 field. But I find that none of the imported user passwords work. So I try to logon to a newly imported user account w/o a password - that doesn't work either. Do I have to reset all the passwords in AdminCP? Why would the ImpEx TXT Importer allow me to designate a field as password if it's not going to take?

Comment

Message to Self:

At logon, have a user input a valid/known username (even one that came into vB via a ImpEx TXT Import) but... leave the password field blank. Next the user should see the "Fogotten Your Password? Click Here" screen. When user enters a valid email address (even one that came into vB via a ImpEx TXT Import), a generic password is sent to that email address, including a link to get the user right into changing that generic password to something more familiar.

Something more familiar like... me getting more familiar with vB before asking such a question as "How exactly will user reset password?"

Comment

Import users.

Send users mass email via vBulletin with link to your boards passwor reset :

i.e.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X