Strange UBB classic smilie problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange UBB classic smilie problem

This is a wierd import problem, some smilies import correctly and are translated into the correct vb versions and some don't. The ubb classic and vb sets of smilies and their associated shortcuts are identical, I have checked in each control panel, and there are no custom smilies in either system. Unfortunately one of the smilies that doesn't translate correctly is "smile" , which as you can imagine is everywhere so manual editing is not an option. Is there a way of translating the references within the posts after they are imported, or can a change be made to allow all smilies to be translated at import time

Smilies that translate into text image tags
    : ) - Smile "[img]smile.gif[/img]"
    : o - Embarrashment "[img]redface.gif[/img]"
    : p -Stick Tongue out "[img]tongue.gif[/img]"

Smiles that translate correctly
    Frown
    Mad
    Roll eyes
    Eek!
    wink
    Grin
    Cool

Smilies not used
    : confused : - Confused

Any ideas how to get around this annoying problem would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dave

Do these show like that in existing posts, or only in newly created posts?
    And are these smilies showing up in posts, that you want to use, or are these from the smilies manager?

Comment

Webspinner: I can't help you with your problem, yet, because I'm not yet able to get as far as you are in the import process. Perhaps you can assist me with my problem and then I can try to duplicate yours and assist you with it.

My problem is here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124731

I get to this point in the installation process. I choose "Infopop UBB Classic" from the list, press the "Begin Import" button, and then I get nothing. Not a smeggin' thing. "Nothing" looks just like this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12612

I've pretty much ruled out a problem with my configuration file since I've followed the instructions to a "T" and it gives no errors (plus I can change stuff in it to cause errors). But there doesn't seem to be any other...thing...for a user to alter to make things work.

------

Back to your problem, though. I don't really understand what you're saying that the smilies are doing. Are you saying that a "Smile" (the one that is everywhere) gets turned into "[img]smile.gif[/img]" in the imported threads? If so, then how do you know that? Do you have the "[img]" tag disabled? Or is it that you attempt to edit a post and see that "[img]smile.gif[/img]" is in the message source? And if that's it, then why is it a problem?

Comment

Hi Floris,

This only happens in existing imported posts. New posts are treating smilies normally, it does seem to be an import problem.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Hi Floris,

I have done some more checking on the behaviour of the vb image tags on my board. I have confirmed that they are turned on in the control panel. I have successfully added new images in the format:

[im g]http://www.mysite.com/images/test.gif[/im g]

Space deliberately added to break img tag

However the image tag does not seem to display relative images in the format:

[img]images/test.gif[img]

From my quick test here, this board seems to work in the same way for relative image tags, as can be seen above.

Why is the smilie being translated into an img reference?
          Last edited by webspinner; Sun 2 Jan '05, 2:59am.

Comment

Hi Ixtlan

Jerry himself has said that the UBB Classic import is one of the hardest, due to the number of variations in the UBB setup. I am no expert but I can make a few obvious suggestions.
            • You should have renamed your configuration file from ImpexConfig.php.new to ImpexConfig.php
            • You should set source exists to false "sourceexists= false" as UBB Classic does not use a database
            • You should have uploaded the ImpEx code to the "impex" subdirectory of your forums
            • Ensure the paths to the various UBB Classic components are correct, especially the variables one. This is often stored within the "cgi-bin" subdirectory of UBB, but I believe it is configurable and could be elsewhere.
            • Ensure your UBB Classic board is running correctly, if it is corrupt then the import may not work correctly.
            Not sure whether any of the above will help, but I am sure one of the vBulletin team will help you get the import going. I would suggest you re-post your problem in another thread to ensure they see it though.

Good luck with the import, and thanks for your suggestions on my smilie problem.

Cheers

Dave

Originally posted by Ixtlan
            My problem is here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124731

I get to this point in the installation process. I choose "Infopop UBB Classic" from the list, press the "Begin Import" button, and then I get nothing. Not a smeggin' thing. "Nothing" looks just like this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12612

Comment

As of vBulletin 3.0.0 all img tags must be full urls, not relitive. Similies can use full urls as well instead of relitive if you want, but it requires you go and edit the smilies page

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation on image tags Zachery, however the real question here is how to change the vast number of "[img]smile.gif[/img]" back to ? Either at the import stage or a global change afterwards.

The board seems to work perfectly and new posts including images and smilies are displayed correctly, but existing posts brought across from UBB classic using ImpEx display some smilies as relative image tags!

Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions, at least now I have a clear idea what the actual problem is and how vb3 images work, now there is just one small problem to resolve

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Afterwords or before just go into the smilies manager

AdminCP > Smilies > Smilie Manager >

Comment

You can also swap them out for : ) opposed to an image tag with cleaner.php then ensure that smilies are enabled in the post etc.
                    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X